Undervolting the Thinkpad X120e

Discussion in 'ThinkPad Edge, X1, X100e/X120e, & SL/L' started by MidnightSun, May 22, 2011.

1. Metroid_III

Metroid_III Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Funny you brought that up, yes I went through that thread yesterday and (through a couple hours of figuring things out) have my undervolts in Linux too, where the fans turn off even more often :) I would hate for anyone to have to do all the digging I did to figure out undervolting the E-350 in Linux, so I've written a draft of a newb friendly guide to undervolting in Linux, applying those undervolts at startup, and applying them on resume from sleep or hibernate. which I can post here if people want :)

Only one Q: in a new thread or in here?

2. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sounds great, glad that worked out for you! You can create a new thread in this subforum, perhaps "Undervolting the Thinkpad X120e in Linux," and I can link to it in my original posts.

3. Metroid_III

Metroid_III Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Alright everyone, the thread is up :D

4. frostedflakes

frostedflakes Newbie

Reputations:
    Just wanted to register and say thanks for this guide, very helpful. :)

Also figured I'd go ahead and throw my results into the mix as well since I found other users results very helpful when undervolting.

P0: 1600MHz @ 1.175V
    P1: 1280MHz @ 1.050V
    P2: 800MHz @ 0.825V

Also, does this technique undervolt the GPU portion of the E-350, or does it only affect the CPU portion? If the latter, would it also be possible to undervolt the GPU in this way?

edit: Found a GUI utility that appears to support both CPU and GPU/NB undervolting, it's called BrazosTweaker. Haven't really messed around with it yet, but looks promising.

5. Pseudorandom

Pseudorandom Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. johan851

johan851 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Looks like it has undervolt options for the northbridge, which I assume is the GPU side of things. That could be handy, and people had some trouble getting those settings to 'stick' with rw-everything.

Have you tried it out yet? If anything the interface is MUCH nicer than manually writing to a bunch of registers. :)

7. unrel2k

unrel2k Newbie

Reputations:
    Undervolting the northbridge works at least for the s205, but not with the x120e. That's what i from reading the threads in german forums where the author supports his tool.

8. johan851

johan851 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Tested out that tool and saw the same behavior - can't get NB values to stick.

9. doshu

doshu Newbie

Reputations:
    I just wanted to ask about the NB part of Brazostweaker myself... Since I own a Wind U270 and not a x120e, I'll try this out and post the results here.

Btw, here are my CPU undervolt settings :
    P0 : 1.125
    P1 : 0.975
    P2 : 0.7875

I just have to found a way to apply this on my linux partition now^^.

Also, too bad there's no way yet to overclock this netbook, I'm sure I could get very good results with it ...

10. johan851

johan851 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Most overclocking results on the E-350 platform are pretty mediocre. I don't think you're missing out on much.