Under 3000€, reliable, high cores, quality - for work

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by AlphaScorpii, Jun 11, 2020.

1. AlphaScorpii

AlphaScorpii Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?

3000€

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    17.3 but might go with smaller

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    Asus, Dell
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    not sure

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Many application at once, 1 application that profits from big thread count and one from SSD speed

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Mostly plugged in, don't care about portability

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    no

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Not important

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Can't see

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    Not sure.. I guess I wouldn't use much 4k even if I had it as my scaling needs to be @100%

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Not important

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    yes

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    1tb+

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Before october

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    Many years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    none

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Probably will be buying laptop outside of my country so prefer no problems :)

I will be buying new laptop in next few months and need something reliable as I use laptop for work. Need at least 12 threads (prefer 16), good build quality, good keyboard (prefer silver but not many options there). Prefer 17 screen but could go with smaller like Asus zephyrus G14.
    I had asus for the last 7years and no problems so they are my no1 pick a long with alienware R2/R3 (mostly because of white keyboard).
    Noise is important to me.. wouldn't prefer loud laptop. Aero 17 was one of my picks but I read it has coil whine.
    Razer blade 17 pro is one of the picks but I am not sure how reliable razer is.

What would you suggest depending on my needs?

2. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a recommendation:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...rationid=3946f008-cce1-464b-b355-699b46791300

I myself have a Precision 7730. If you look at the support forum thread here for the Precision 7730, it's starting to push 300 pages - the Dell Precision support community is both knowledgeable, helpful, and love to push the envelope on their hardware. The 7750 is now available, but if you look at the performance specifications for the Intel series processors, there's virtually no difference in performance between the two generations. So, you save money on the 7740 and still get a very beautiful workstation class laptop. I purposefully do not include a large SSD in this configuration - I would buy an aftermarket Pro-class NVMe drive, for example an EVO Plus 2 TB NVMe drive, and you will save a LOT of money as opposed to buying directly from Dell. On my own 7730, installing a new NVMe drive takes about 3 screws, and I have four of these NVMe slots if I need more down the line.

Also, Dell ProSupport gives you the ability to get real engineers on the line, and they will really send engineers to your home to fix things if necessary - it is very much worth the upgrade. My experiences with them have been very positive.

This has a black keyboard, but I find it very usable.