Unable to install Fresh Windows 7 from USB!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Yashodhan Goenka, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Yashodhan Goenka

Yashodhan Goenka Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I was trying to reset my Sony Vaio VPCSB25FG (Core i3, 500GB HDD) to factory defaults, it came with Windows & pre-installed. I followed all the instructions given by VAIO care but for some reason the installation failed mid-way and now my laptop is without an operating system.

I got hold of a Windows 7 ISO and made a bootable USB.

In the installation screen I get a message that "Windows cannot be installed on this drive" and further information as "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

Now the BIOS doesn't allow to change any settings except date/time/boot priority. I am at a real loss and in urgent need of this laptop. Please help!

2. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How did you create the bootable usb? did you try Microsoft's usb tool?

I would probably make a bootable usb of the linux Gparted. From there you can look at the partition layout of your vaio and format the drive/partition so you can try another reinstall.

3. Yashodhan Goenka

Yashodhan Goenka Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried with the windows USB tool and other tools as well - but these was some problem with the hard drive.
    Windows was unable to format it or even repair it.

I swapped out the HDD with another, and used a Sata to USB connector to connect the fault HDD to my Mac, and used that to format it - worked like a charm!

Primes likes this.