Ultrathin, Huge Screen

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by donkeytron, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donkeytron

donkeytron Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

Basically, I'm looking for an ultrathin, portable, light notebook with a huge screen. The thinner/lighter the better, the larger the screen the better.

Thanks!

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Anything reasonable. $2k+ expected, $4k max.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Ultrathin and light, with the biggest screen possible.

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA - Online preferred.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I'm open to most all brands.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    If the only ultrathins with large screens were refurbished, then yes.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    For school. Non-gaming.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Taking it with me. Will be purely for school. I have a desktop at home.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    No, just typical school stuff, MS word, etc, Blackboard & online classes.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Obv the longer the better, but virtually a non-issue.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    prefer buying online

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Must have Windows 7, very much prefer 64bit.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
    Ideally 1900x1200 or greater. 1600x900 at a minimum.

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    Prefer matte. Never been a fan of glossy.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not important.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within the next 2 weeks. Likely sooner than later.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    The standard 3-5 year lifespan.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
    Must have an SSD, 128 minimum.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
    Don't need one, I already have a USB external.

2. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Dell Latitude Z600 is the biggest screen with thinnest/lightest profile.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    You may want to consider a MacBook Pro 17 running Windows 7 through boot camp. It's expensive to get a MBP with an SSD and then buy Windows on top of that, but you have the budget to do it. This is doable for just under $4000 with a 512 GB SSD (including the cost of Windows) and for about $3250 with a 256 GB SSD. And you'll get a 1920x1200 matte screen with a thin, sturdy aluminum case that's I'm pretty sure is the most portable 17" machine on the market.

Edit: had never heard of the Latitude Z600. That looks like a good option too...but is it actually available for sale? I can't find it on Dell's page:

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-laptops.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=mn

4. pianowizard

pianowizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Apple has been working on an ultrathin 15-incher for a while. Presumably it's the 15" version of the Air, and it would probably be exactly what you are looking for. Unfortunately, it will be several months before it comes out. Since you need to buy a laptop within 2 weeks, I suggest that you buy something cheap and used to tide you over.

For non-Macs, Dell's XPS 15z is the thinnest 15-incher. But many people have reported hardware issues with this laptop.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    For someone willing to spend up to $4000, they definitely shouldn't consider a 15z over a MacBook Pro. The quality of the former is dog poop compared to the latter, even if it does offer better specs for the dollar and Win 7 included in the purchase price. Also, you can get a 17" screen with the MBP; the 15z is, as the name suggests, only a 15-incher.

6. donkeytron

donkeytron Newbie

Reputations:
    Great feedback guys, I appreciate all of it.

I did some quick digging and found a Z600 in Dell's Business Outlet (along with dell outlet's 20% off coupon from twitter). I believe I am correct in that this particular model's last generation processor has a separate video card, where as the newer models move the video card onto the processor. Not a big deal, but I believe the Z600 came out in late 2009. The slight gap in technology, along with the mixed reviews ( Latitude Z600 Laptop Details | Dell ) are making me lean toward the Macbook Pro 17. I type this with mildly gritted teeth as I have always been a bit of a Mac "hater." But with the larger screen and high build quality, it pretty much has everything I am looking for.

I'd definitely appreciate more thoughts. I'll probably look to click on buy within the next few days, so I do have some time to mull it over.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    The Acer Aspire Ethos 18.4 that just came out? I mention it with trepidation, as I haven't read any reviews and Acer's reputation is questionable. But it's got a huge screen and it's pretty thin and light for an 18.4" machine (though 50% thicker and about 33% heavier than an MBP 17).

AS8951G-9600 | Product Model

My recommendation remains the MBP 17. Image/politics/whatever of Apple aside, I really do think it fits your requirements better than anything else on the market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.