Ultrabook

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Primes, May 18, 2020.

1. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looking for a current gen ultrabook / 13.3" - 14" 1080p.
    Weight and battery life important.

1) What is your budget?
    About $800 USD

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I'm considering Dell, Acer, Asus, Lenovo, HP, Samsung, but open to anything.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Business productivity, Email, General Web, MS Office work.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Carrying it with me, Home, Office, Meetings.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    No.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    The more the better. Would like a solid 8-10+ hours.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    on-line OK.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows 10.

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080P

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Would consider either.

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes. Business design preferred.

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    256Gb minimum.

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    by summer 2020.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    5-6 years.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    unknown.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Ship OK.

2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Honestly ill leave my opinion out of this and just state, the lenovo flex pro is the best ultrabook you can get for under 800 bucks..

its officially a yoga 920 rebranded and comes with 16gb ram/4k 100 adobe screen/8th gen i7/ very fast samsung nvme ssd at 512gb/and can be used in 4 modes including tablet mode.'

they can be found at B and H online store and I highly reccommend the 4k version, battery life is less but considering I own the 1080p model and am able to stream netflix for 18hours id say theres room in its large 70whr battery for 4k.

heres a link to which one you should buy and if you end up not liking it alot for some bizarre reason you can always get a refund.

heres a link to the 256gb one I love so much....crazy battery life if thats important as well as speed

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1465022-REG/lenovo_81tf0000us_core_i5_8250u_8gb_256gb.html

for the 512gb version you will have to search for it under Ideapad flex pro 14in.

also I picked up a refurbished 14in 256gb version for 350 usd, so watch out for deals on it

and if your not interested in a laptop from lenovo id look at a refurbished xps15. its tough to beat lenovos yoga lineup and dells xps..its 15in yes but its footprint is 14in

Primes likes this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  4. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah. On my 13 I get 6 to 8 hrs depending on what I'm doing. That's ok. I have a cool travel charger that looks like a big phone charger that I carry with me so I'm really never away from power quickly.

6. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Nothing says business like a ThinkPad. The best notebook keyboard will likely be advantageous for general productivity and office work. The T490/T490s or perhaps X390(this would be my choice) are probably beyond your budget new, but could conceivably fall into your orbit with the right coupon or maybe in the outlet if you can be patient. If you opt for the T490/T490s, get the low power FHD screen as it's the best one unless you want to bump up to the WQHD, though that raises the price. The thing that's lame about the X390 is they make you get the top of the line CPU, which raises the price, to get the 16GB of memory. If you plan to keep it a while, you should consider doing so as the memory is soldered.

The Dell Outlet usually offers good value. The Latitude 7400 might be worth a look. I'd take a ThinkPad over the Dell, but the Dell is solid and backed with a three year warranty, including on-site support. Good Luck.

Primes likes this.
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The other thing with the Dell 5000 is user upgradability. I swapped in 16gb of ram and a 1tb ssd.