Ultrabook with 7mm SSD *and* mSATA slot upgrade over Thinkpad X1?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by daveola, Dec 31, 2018.

1. daveola

daveola Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I found this on taobao - is this the board?

https://world.taobao.com/item/553863861510.htm

Does it have any advantage over the nitrocaster mod besides price? As in less soldering or install difficulties?

It also looks like it uses some of the 2.5" drive bay space, is that the extra mSATA you mentioned - and you can still fit a 2.5" drive in that space as well? Giving a 2.5" and two mSata??

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    pierro78 likes this.
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    Looks like the right thing, but this one looks more insteresting IMO. You'd better consult with someone who performed the mod before pulling the trigger, to be on the safe side. As far as I know Nitrocaster's board lacks additional mSATA slot. The mSATA sub-board goes in Expresscard slot space, so you end up with 1x 2.5" slot, 1x mSATA/WWAN slot, and 1x mSATA slot, for a total of 3x SSDs.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    pierro78 likes this.
  3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I wondered what Dell had to offer which met the dual storage device requirement and found this discussion.

John

4. daveola

Reputations:
    The 7440 looks great, gorilla glass and a 2.5" as well as mSATA and swappable batteries for 3.6lbs, but it barely improves performance and loses the spillproof keyboard.

The XPS 15 is tempting, though, if I wanted to take the extra weight. I'll have to look at one.

5. daveola

Reputations:
    No kidding - presumably there is info somewhere (in English) for what the options are for these types of 230 mods, and howtos as well. With some of these boards (thanks to my reliance on google translate of Chinese) I can't tell if I'm supposed to send them the laptop to do the upgrade, or order the board and do it myself.

6. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    @daveola take a look at this thread and ask on reddit - many people posted about their upgraded machines there and will likely answer your questions from first-hand experience.

7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    my vote goes to the hp probook 440 g5

8. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The E7440 is a solid notebook, but the keyboard is subpar. The Gorilla Glass protects the screen, but adds weight and lessens battery life due to the digitizer. Touch screen tend to produce reflections that can be annoying, particularly in well lit areas. I guess you'll have to decide on that one.

9. viasat

viasat Newbie

Reputations:
    I was in the same situation (two storage units as a must) and I choose Hp Elitebook 840 g4 . M.2 (nvme or sata) and 2.5' 7mm.
    I5 7300u, 16gb ddr4.
    You can choose Hp 840r g5 with 8250u i5 (not 840 g5,it has only one storage)
    Cheers

10. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

I searched for laptops that are 12-14 inch and come with both M.2 slot and a normal 2.5-inch drive slot: noteb search.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

The Lenovo E series is pretty low quality so I would skip it. The best from this list is the HP ProBook 640 G4. If you want it cheaper, you could probably get a refurbished version of its older version HP ProBook 640 G3/G2.

A better option is the Elitebook, but that one is more expensive and doesn't always come with dual HDD storage.