Ultrabook, Ryzen with 1650ti?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Rick123, May 1, 2020.

1. Rick123

Rick123 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, first post here, please be kind.

I have a 2013 Macbook 13” pro, and I’m looking for a new computer.

I thought a lot about my needs, and what I would like to buy is a 13”-14” notebook with a new 15W Ryzen 4700 and a 35W GeForce 1650TI Max-Q. Battery life is important as well as the weight. I prefer I nice screen and an aluminum/magnesium construction.

My question is very simple. Does it exist (now or at least for the end of the year) something like that?

Basically, I want an ultrabook with a bit more power than usual, and I am willing to trade some weight for it (but not too much). Yes, I am aware of the Asus Zephyrus G14. What I don’t like in this PC is that, reading the reviews, it works with the fans always on. Not surprisingly, as it runs a 35W CPU and a 65W dGPU (100W in total, while a 4700U + 1650ti total 50W). I got used with my macbook that rarely turns the fans on. I also would like something a bit thinner and lighter than the G14. I like a lot the new thinkpad T14s, but no GPU.

I will never consider anything larger than 14" or anything heavier than the G14 or anything with a short battery life or a bad screen.

Let say that 90% of the use is for work. Not so much interested in games, but whatever 3D software I try to run in my macbook, it struggles.

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Closest thing to what you're looking for would be the new Razer Blade Stealth 13, which has an Intel CPU.

3. Rick123

Rick123 Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, I wrote to Razer suggesting them to make a Ryzen version of the stealth. But I will not buy the Intel one: a 4 cores 14nm processor really feels like old technology with respect to an octa core 7nm Ryzen: same TPD, same thermals, but far higher performance in the AMD version.

4. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Affordable makes with affordable dGPU like those GTXes 1##0 Ti/Max-Q/P... I don't think will work well with some 3D imaging programs, especially those picky on hardware specs that we commonly know of... Unless it's those RTXes and Quadros or ATI FirePros...
    So... for the moment, u could forget about utilizing those GTX dGPUs on most affordables that lets u play little games. Or... look out for Bravo17 from MSI when it's available in ur area, which packs the RX5500 dGPU which may... little friendly with 3D image rendering software.

Razer??? Baah/// Forget about it!
    It'll likely to take them another 2 more years to accept Ryzen systems into their builds. Look at how much they've gained from INTEL based system!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2020
  5. Rick123

Rick123 Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, a 15W Ryzen CPU + a 35W dGPU is a too obvious combination for a 13"-14" notebook.... I really think something will come out in the next months.

6. Ed. Yang

Reputations:
    Hmmm 4#00U CPU + dGPU... Such combo... in months? Nada... Just that dGPU cost will drive the price of that laptop high enough to deter potential buyers away.
    4#00H/HS + dGPU is likely to be more common.

7. Rick123

Rick123 Newbie

Reputations:
    In the 1000-2000€ price bracket, where people are willing to pay a premium for a small and well-engineered form factor (Razer Stealth, Macbook Pro, Thinkpad t14s....), I don't think the price of a 1650ti will be such a problem.

Yeah, but fitting such power in a small form is challenging. The Asus G14 is pretty much the max we can do in the 35W CPU class. Yes, it's quite small (would like more), but noisy (and that's the main drawback for me).

8. Ed. Yang

Reputations:
    Well... When portability and build is linked together, I couldn't think of such makes available in the market that will be friendly with most 3D programs.
    I personally hopes that an E series 17inch ThinkPad make with ALL AMD system will be available to loggerhead with MSI's Bravo17...

9. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Buy the Zephyrus 14 with 1650ti and run it in silentmode?

10. Rick123

Rick123 Newbie

Reputations:
    1. The 1650ti in the G14 is the full version, not the max-Q. Thermal and consumptions are almost on par with the 1660ti max-q and the 2060ti max-q, but you have a much more limited system. Pointless.

2. The alternative to the G14 must be something smaller and thinner, like the Razer stealth. If weight and dimensions have to be like the G14, I also want the performance of the G14.

3. I'm still considering the G14 (can keep the dGPU deactivated when I am working in a room with other people). I will wait a bit to see for Asus software updates and if something new comes out. I've read many reviews on the G14, it seems to have the ability to manually set the fans, but the software is bugged.