Ultrabook or so-so with >= 16Gb RAM in 2019. Possible?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Suncatcher, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Suncatcher

Suncatcher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What I am searching for is a light (<1.5kg) and powerful laptop.

1) What is your budget?

1000$

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

Irrelevant

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like: Asus
    b. Dislike: Dell, Lenovo

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Development

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Yes, intended for both. The main aim is traveling

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

5 hours min

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

OK

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Either

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

1920x1080

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

Doesn't matter

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

Doesn't matter, but soldered is not OK, I wanna upgrade with my own

In older threads I found HP Elitebook series, Toshiba Portege series and Thinkpad T440p.
    Any other suggestions?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  2. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Possible yes. At least 16GB. Not sure about more.

Would love to know what applications you expect to run on such a tiny screen that demand so much RAM.

3. Suncatcher

Reputations:
    Different IDEs, many tabs of Chrome. I like to have running many virtual machines simultaneously and the hypervisors (HyperV, QEMU, VMWare) are usually very greedy for RAM.
    I don't care about the screen, both 11.6 and 13-14 is okay. So what models can you recommend?

4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    HP has the Probook 430 G6, which has two ram slots taking a max of 32GB total.

Lenovo has the T480 / T490. With the newest model it appears to have one ram stick soldered, the other is a slot, so keep that in mind when looking at configurations.

Asus has the Zenbook 13 with up to 16GB of ram, however it is soldered so be sure to get a configuration with how much you want from the factory.

Suncatcher likes this.
  5. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    @Suncatcher Thinkpad L380, L380 Yoga, L390, L390 Yoga all take 32GB RAM in their 2x DDR4 SO-DIMM slots. It is basically the same machine with minor changes and different configurations.

Suncatcher likes this.
  6. Suncatcher

Reputations:
    Thanks for suggestion. However interesting that notebookcheck states that this model allows 64Gb. Do you think they are mistaken?

Overall, I haven't found any logic in distribution of memory across specs of different models, could you please clarify this thing?
    I found out that Elite laptops of model don't have 32Gb upgradeability until 3th generation (G1 and G2 models) and since G3 they start to have this ability (G3-G4-G5-G6). And this is irrelevant to display size, i.e. this rule applies to 820, 830, 840, 1040.
    Am I right?

7. Suncatcher

Reputations:
    T480/T490 and L380/L390 seems to exceed my budget, as well as Zenbook UX331, but the Zenbook is definitely not bad.

8. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Thinkpad A485 has 2 ram slots so you could do at least 32GB. If you really wanted to track down 32GB sticks you could likely do 64... I have 4 more A485s coming in and they are far far under your budget, lol.

9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    64GB should work. I think HP just hasn't tested it yet.

TheProBook is HP's least expensive business line. It would be the easiest to hit that <$1000 price point, especially if we are factoring 32GB of ram in. With the Elite, the 8x0 line has usually had two memory slots, but the 10x0 lines are extra thin and light weight so they have soldered memory or only a single slot with height constraints. I would want at least 8th Gen processors processors which are a significant bump from the 7th Gen dual core models. Whiskey Lake (i5-8265u, for instance) also has Spectre hardware mitigation built in so it might be worth it over the older i5-8250u.

Suncatcher and custom90gt like this.
  10. Suncatcher

Reputations:
    And do they have LTE slot for modem as 8x0 line do? I found only mentioning of this in 440 G6 review, not sure about 440 G5 and 430 G5

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019