Ultrabook for productivity with long battery life

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Danja, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Danja

Danja Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm currently on a Surface Pro 3 and it seems to no longer be enough to fill my needs. During everyday office work (I work in academia - have to use my own computer), it chugs along at having several Excel windows open while also running a job-specific program and a browser. It also seems to have some sort of issue with Windows Explorer - making a new folder often takes a couple seconds to get a response. At conferences on the plane, when I shut down everything besides OneNote or Netflix and have the screen at 25% brightness, I'm lucky to get 2 hours of battery life. I'd like to get a laptop to address these issues. I'm leaning towards the 4K Yoga C940 but I've read mixed reports on the battery life (5 - 8 hours). I'd really like to have something that can give me at least 7h, even if it requires turning the screen brightness down. For a budget of $1500 (including tax/shipping) would the Yoga be the best choice, or are there other laptops I should consider?

General Questions

1) What is your budget? $1500 total price

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen I really like the 14" size - I'd consider 13 as well.
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? No preference
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Productivity - OneNote, several Excel windows, Firefox with ~20 tabs open
    Entertainment - Netflix on conference travel :)
    No gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Taking it with me to conferences for note taking

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    >6

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Prefer to see, but buying blind is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    >1080p would be nice. 4K would be good because my external monitor is 4k and it would allow smooth window dragging without resizing, which I actually have to do a lot.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) No preference

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Would prefer something more understated than an Alienware ;)

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 500 GB at least, but I'm comfortable swapping drives myself if there's something otherwise great that comes with a tiny amount of drive space as long as it's removable with a screwdriver.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? Preferably now or soon. I might snag the current Best Buy deal on the C940 unless someone here can point me in a different direction.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 3-4 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? Months - I'll keep my current Surface as a backup.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? Shipping is fine.