Ultrabook for Near College Student

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Sacyro, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The OP said 1600x900ish, which says to me that might consider something outside that if there was a better fit in other areas. They also said there #1 priority was battery life. It would seem to me of all the notebooks talked about so far, the X230 is the one can offer long battery life without the aid of an additional battery. Like most people, the OP isn't going to get everything. A notebook that meets some of their needs is worth proposing.

There's nothing wrong with offering up the X230 as a possibility. It's one option for a small notebook with a good screen and long battery life, though certainly not the only one. I didn't malign any other notebooks and if you look at post #5, I specifically said the OP should get the SS9 if that's what they liked. To say the X230 doesn't at least deserve to be in the conversation or that I've not considered the OPs want or needs is absurd. If you don't like my recommendations, then why don't you spend time here making some of your own instead of trying to lecture me with your holier than thou tone.

2. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I too find it disturbing to see opinions being presented as fact this way if there is no statical basis to back the "most people..." claim. In my opinion those comments should start with 'in my opinion' instead to be accurate. Otherwise it's just hot air that may lead novices or beginners astray, quite a few times with the comment lining up a suggestion of a Lenovo X230 purchase as is the case here.

3. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I find it disturbing to see so many know-it-alls in the forums, presenting their opinions as fact, but I don't complain about it where ever I go. ZaZ helps out a lot in the forums, more than "most people" here, and he's welcome to present his opinions, as you are. I don't see what the problem is really.

4. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Opinion is most welcome. Problem is when a opinion leads in with 'most people ...' without any factual backing. That is then a misleading comment to give it the supposed support of a larger majority. In Australia we'd consider this 'nothing but hot air', 'tip but no iceberg', 'pulling the wool over one's eyes' or 'pulling a fast one'.

Agreed, Zaz gives plenty of notebook suggestions to the benefit of the NBR community so his opinions are most valued.

5. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, and I consider that "splitting hairs". Everyone is going to be a little biased with their product of choice. Even reviews have a little bias in them, but coming from someone who has actually had a lot of experience with different notebooks, again I don't see what the problem is with him stating his opinions.
    I think it's pretty safe to assume that "most people" don't need a dedicated gpu, for things like web surfing, online videos, music and the like, don't you agree? I'm just using that as an example, but if you want to back up your claims with tons of numbers and statistics, nothing is stopping you from doing so.

6. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I guess I thought when people "most people...." the in my opinion was implied because if you had facts, you'd offer them. Most of what's offered up here is opinion anyway, in my opinion :).

7. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Certainly.. opinion is welcome. Leading them in with 'most people' to give majority weight to the opinion isn't right nor is it accurate. It is however a useful method to mould public opinion. Even moreso when one has the moderator ('God', untouchable) status.

To make it accurate would require 'in my opinion, most people'... where it's easier to then pick it out for simply being hot air. Why? Because I'd ask who the author of the comment is to make a claim on behalf of a majority.

It's risky to critique a mod this way as there could be undesirable consequences. I've stepped out to do that as have been recently asked pull my head in on some of my recommendations/opinions (rightly so mind you) so in this case I feel it appropriate to request the same.

That's as much as I wish to say. Hope we can get back to the OP's WNSIB request.

8. Quix Omega

Quix Omega Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ASUS Zenbook UX31A, it is 1080p but I like the screen better than any other ultrabook. It's an IPS with good viewing angles and overall good performance, if the screen is important to you take a look at one.

I also quite like the Sony Z, it's more powerful if you need that.

9. pepper_john

pepper_john Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I second this. ZaZ is one of the most balanced mod I have ever seen.

10. V_Chip

V_Chip Be about it.

Reputations:
    Appears to me that the S9 really tickles the OP's fancy. If you like slim and sexy, it's got it. :p

X230 is a great fit that can definitely endure the everyday wear and tear of a mobile user.

Z2's and Z3's are nice pieces of kit with plenty to offer as well.

UX31 is fitting as well. Ya'll already covered all the notebooks I was ready to suggest... So the I'm left with summarizing posts. >.<

At this point, with the budget you have and the options in front of you: It comes down to your own personal preferences.

Best of luck finding your desired notebook!

(I'm an on the go student who does PS as well, but I get by doing it on my charming little CR48). :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.