Ultrabook for coding (DELL Inspiron 13 vs HP Envy 13 vs alternatives?). Questions

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by MrrFusion, Oct 6, 2018.

?

DELL Inspiron 13 7000 vs HP Envy 13 (under £1000)

1. DELL Inspiron 13 7000

2. HP Envy 13

3. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MrrFusion

MrrFusion Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking for a small (13-inch only), brand new, reliable laptop with decent battery life (at least 6h) and enough power (must be i7) to handle any programming tasks I will throw at it. Doesn't require powerful graphics. I don't want it to be too pricey though - if money wasn't an issue I would've simply gone for XPS 13. Anything under £1000 would be great. I'm also ok with FHD screen. Doesn't have to include any OS. I'm located in UK.

Here are my possible choices:

Inspiron 13 7000
    - £854 (incl. student discount)
    - i7 8th gen, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, FHD
    - major pros: newest Whiskey Lake i7-8565U processor, cheap, thin bezel, DDR4
    - major cons: disappointing battery life

HP Envy 13
    - £990 (incl. student discount)
    - i7 8th gen, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, FHD
    - major pros: touchscreen, better battery life, GeForce MX150, thin bezel, sleek design
    - major cons: DDR3, ???

I was also considering Lenovo Yoga 730 (but I couldn't find a good deal for it) as well as not yet released Zenbook Asus Zenbook UX333 FA/FN, which seems like a perfect, dreams come true ultrabook, but I'm guessing it's going to be quite expensive.

Which one of these would you guys choose?

Is Inspiron's battery life as bad as they say? Is there a significant difference in battery life between the regular Inspiron 13 and 2-in1 convertible?

Are there any significant drawbacks to HP's Envy line of products, as they are significantly cheaper than Spectre line?

Are there any other alternatives with this kind of specs (8GB RAM and 256GB SSD is also acceptable) and a price below £1000?

I will appreciate any help.

2. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1) There is very little difference between an i5 8250U and an i7 8550U. Both chips are limited to 15 W in the long term meaning the higher clocked i7 throttles down to the same level as the i5 8250U and both will end up scoring around ~550 cb when you loop Cinebench R15.

2) Of the two laptops that you've listed, I would go for the HP laptop because of the three year warranty and the better battery life.

I would also consider the Lenovo Ideapad 720s (13.3" / 14") as they both have great keyboards, screens and good build quality. Avoid the AMD Ryzen version as it throttles, is unstable and has poor battery life. The Acer Swift 3 14" (slim bezel version only) is also a great choice. You can get 10% cashback on Swift 3 by using Topcashback. I don't know if they offer a student discount. They also sell a 3 year warranty extension for around £50 IIRC.

You might also want to take a look at a refurbished Dell XPS 13 from the Dell Outlet (comes with a 1 year warranty just like a new machines). They offer a 15% student discount as well.

Reviews of each laptop are linked below.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/acer-swift-3-2018

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Ideapad-720S-13IKB-i5-8250U-UHD-620-Laptop-Review.281646.0.html

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/17425-lenovo-ideapad-720s-review/

3. MrrFusion

MrrFusion Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for the reply, I especially like the Ideapad, as it offers 4K screen that doesn't seem to affect the battery performance too much.

Assuming I could get an Ideapad 720s (i5 version) for about £720 or Envy 13 with identical specs (except for screen and MX150) for about £760, which one would you recommend?

I'm not sure how I feel about purchasing refurbished tech though, as I want this laptop to last for at least 3 years.

4. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you have no need for the MX150, get the Envy 13 because of the extended warranty.

5. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The Ideapad 720s has a PWM display if I am not mistaking. I am also inclined to say that the Envy 13 is your best option.

6. MrrFusion

MrrFusion Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you guys for your help, I'm almost convinced I'm gonna buy Envy 13 :).