Ultra cheap 13-14" used notebook for web surfing and netflix?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by NYCtech, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCtech

NYCtech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget? $500US

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? NZ, local online similar to ebay

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I dont like Apple. I sold my 2011 as it was falling apart and had at least 6 faults in its life.

Id love a retina but I just dont trust the anti glare pealing.

If I can get 1440p or similar that would be a bonus but doubt it on this budget.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Web surfing, netflix, email. Very ocasional Light Room touch ups of single photo files.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Definitely want to be portable as possible.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? Id like to but unlikely, CSGO and Civ 5 would be cool. But again, on this budget, I doubt a dGPU.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Id like 5+ but id imagine it will be 2 years old+ so whatever I can get.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Fine with our local online sales as plenty of photos and questions.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Pefer Win10 or OSX.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? 1080p min, 1440p would be nice.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? Not phased by either.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? No

15) When are you buying this laptop? No rush.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? A few years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? I will put an SSD in it if it doesnt have one.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? No.

Just a basic machine. I would like a nice screen as i use it a lot for netflix and prime etc.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  2. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Chromebook perhaps?

Enviado de meu Pixel 2 usando Tapatalk

3. NYCtech

Reputations:
    I did consider one, just not quite powerful enough, close. Also I dont trust any cloud for personal storage.

Also a lot dont have quality displays.

I forgot to add I do very light, Light Room works for the occasional photo.

The Pixel Book does look nice though. But I dont think ill find a used one in my price range.

Brand new in NZ the original i5 Surface Book is cheaper.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  4. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Look for a laptop with an i5-7200U from Dell, HP or Lenovo....should find something in the $500 price range.

Enviado de meu Pixel 2 usando Tapatalk

5. NYCtech

Reputations:
    Is a Macbook pro 13 sold in November 2015 a bad buy for $600USD? i5, 8GB, 120GB.

Its in good condition, back in the box, no screen glare flaking or freying of the magsafe.

Please advise if its a good buy?

I sold my 2011 as I had too many problems with it and it was getting old.

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I agree with recommending a refurbished ex-business notebook. They are designed to be repairable and the parts (including replacement batteries) should available if needed although this serviceability may result in a modest increase in the thickness and weight compared to less serviceable notebooks.

John

Jarhead and Vistar Shook like this.
  7. NYCtech

Reputations:
    Id agree on upgrades, but this is not a 7 year laptop, its simply 1-2 years. With the likes of Elitebooks etc, you get really terrible screens and really fat heavy machines. I dont think business notebook are the answer because Im looking for something to watch Netflix and something portable.

I looked at some Chromebooks but none stood out, with very few even being 1080p. The pixelbook isnt available in my country darn it. A used one of them would be good.

The $600USD MBP13 bought in October 2015 seems my best bet at this stage.

Basically anything older that has a quality screen for Movies and Lightroom is what Im after. Its funny how some QHD screens can look worse than a quality 1080p though.

But the Retina providing it doesnt have staingate is generally a nice movie watching experience. Id like it a bit cheaper.

Would a surface pro 2 or 3 be a bad option?

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You could buy a brand new dell with full warranty at 600 bucks USD. I would go that route.

Spartan and Vistar Shook like this.
  9. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    A used Dell Latitude E7440 via eBay might be worth a look. It offers a 1080p matte IPS screen and they're solid notebooks.

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Wait, Elitebooks having awful displays? This is news to me as an 820 G2 owner >.>

Mine's certainly a lot better than my Dell Inspiron's display, at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.