UK laptop purchaser needs some help

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by NotVeryTechie, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotVeryTechie

NotVeryTechie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I tend to do research on new tech to the extent that it prevents me actually buying the thing! I am hoping someone can help me narrow down my choices so that I can just get it done! My current computer is falling apart one thing at a time and I really need to get this resolved now. Just can't decide ... :)

Here are my answers to the questions:

General Questions – NOTE: I am in the UK

1) What is your budget? £700, but would prefer to spend less than that.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen, or e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

United Kingdom

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like:
    b. Dislike: Do not want a Mac

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Email, Internet, watching films, Photoshop editing, video editing

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Mostly on my desk

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

I don’t play much, only a very old ‘90s game and I don’t know if that can work on the new machines! (Caesar III)

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

I usually plug in, so not vital, but if using away from the desk at least a few hours would be good.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Don’t mind buying online

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Windows (not prefer – more like all my programmes are Windows-based)

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

Midrange, or possibly Maximum

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Glossy

I would prefer a graphics card.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Not the most important thing

15) When are you buying this laptop?

As soon as I can make a decision (I am not quick!)

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

My last one managed 10 years, so I hope it will last a while

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

I need at least 2TB

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

Yes, DVD burner – possibly blu-ray

Other

I have the laptop on a coffee table, which is not hugely comfortable, so I generally hoist it onto my lap when I am watching stuff. It shouldn’t be too heavy.

I also hate brushing the track pad when I type, so an easy on/off of the trackpad would be lovely.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Notebooks with optical drives are becoming rare. Here are a few with DVD burners. Most people make do with a £20 external burner connected to a USB port. It's even rarer to find a notebook with a 2TB HDD. You may need to budget on getting a notebook with a small HDD and then doing a DIY upgrade to 2TB or consider having no more than 1TB internal used in conjunction with a portable HDD (which is cheaper than the bare HDD).

I would also recommend paying attention to the display quality and viewing angles. The cheaper notebooks tend to use low quality 1366 x 768 resolution panels. Spending a bit more on a 1920 x 1080 resolution display with good viewing angles (many reviews include photos to illustrate this aspect) gets around the problem of having to tilt the display to get the right colour rendering and contrast and avoid any reflections.

John

3. NotVeryTechie

Reputations:
    Thank you! I will put those into the plan.

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My other comment is to point out that you can get some good deals at Dell Outlet. All the outlet stock comes with the same warranty as new products and, unless sold as "Scratch and Dent", will be like new (eg returned or cancelled orders). Pricing is typically 60% of Dell's normal prices plus there are discount coupons (currently 20% off everything but there's nothing I can find worth recommending as a lot of stock has been bought). Look at both the Home (Inspiron) and Business (Latitude) notebooks. The business notebooks have an on-site warranty.

John

5. NotVeryTechie

Reputations:
    Thank you so much, John. That is a top tip!

6. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I myself have disdain for ext OD unless one is desperate for it then they should look for a unit with OD refurbished or new that come with OD-they still exist one just has to do some looking.

7. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Can you like... Rewrite this? It's pretty confusing. What is ext OD?

8. NotVeryTechie

Reputations:
    I think it means Optical Device, and I would agree that I would much prefer an internal one rather than an external.

9. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I know, it was more for others than myself. As long as you understand it it's fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.