UHD vs FHD on 14" Screen (or similarly small screens): Actual Users' Experiences

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by DualMonitors, Jun 24, 2019.

1. DualMonitors

DualMonitors Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dear All:

With the abundance of discussion on some threads about whether or not there are major scaling issues with UHD on small screens, i.e. the 14" X1C7 screen, I thought I might take this opportunity to ask if there are actually good folks here who have real experience living with a UHD on a small screen?

Knowledgeable folks have said that if the pixels are a whole perfect integer multiple, i.e. UHD is exactly 2.0x of FHD, then scaling would be perfect without issues. As Windows 10 in UHD would use, for example, 2 pixels for every 1 pixel to scale UHD down to FHD.

However, the same knowledgeable folks say that WQHD would NOT scale nicely, as it is NOT a perfect whole integer multiple from FHD.

May I ask if anyone has experience living with and using a UHD small screen, say 14", and either have no issues with scaling or actually have encountered scaling issues? This discussion would include also those legacy, older utitlity-type programs that one may be forced to continue using during troubleshooting, or if various oddball issues were to arise.

Thank you all in advance.

2. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For scaling, there are like a million settings to play around with and they do horrible things to you if you get em wrong. There is a difference between display scaling in say games vs actual display scaling. All I know is that after 3 hours of brute forcing settings, I got 4k to look like 1080p perfectly. I dunno what I did, but I did it

huntnyc likes this.