1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Ugly Thinkpad?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by graycolor, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graycolor

graycolor Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is it just me or every non-Thinkpad is Ugly? Look at the dell xps and the stuff from Hp. Maybe I've been using my Thinkpad too often, but macbooks and Thinkpads are probably the only "good looking" notebooks.

2. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    I think Thinkpad and MBP are the polar opposite in terms of design philosophy. Personally i like both. I don't find any of the current HP laptops to be particularly attractive in terms of design. The only current Dell laptops i like are the M15x and M17x Alienware, which have something original in terms of design that other laptops don't.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I like the new XPS line over the previous Studio/Studio XPS (biggest garbage line Dell ever released IMO). But you can't really compared an XPS to a business line, but the 3rd generation E series is...ugly. It's horrible. I prefer the older D series to the newer E series. The E6410 is the last decent Latitude not counting the specialized models. Precisions didn't have a major change but it's not like they sell the amount of Precisions compared to the Latitudes. I haven't seen the new Vostro line, but generally they have been kept in check but usually offer funky colors..

HP have been getting worse and worse. HPs got bashed for glossy this glossy that, so everything now has a matte plastic/metal finish but they took a turn for the far worse to service (at least their consumer models). The new Elitebook looks like a glorified Envy, and is everything a business notebook should not be.

I have always respected ThinkPads for their supreme reliability, but I always thought they looked...not so pretty but it has grown on me to which I bought a ThinkPad. That classic look, you know you have a serious business machine. And Lenovo did not detract really from that look, but made it cheaper than the older IBM ThinkPads, and I praise them for that.

4. lead_org

Reputations:
    Also i am not sure why HP is offering all the recent Elitebooks in such a shiny silver colour, it is so distracting to look at them sometimes.

5. rossmodel

rossmodel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thinkpad and “good looking" in the same sentence?

6. Markio

Markio Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don't like a lot of bells and whistles, contrasting colorschemes etc. that distract me from using a notebook. That's why thinkpads and MPB's attract to me, they don't get in the way. They both focus on usability and reliability, but with almost opposing design solutions. the thinkpad is something like an 'anti-design' thing, which I like. It's a bit difficult to explain but the 'ugliness' of a thinkpad appeals to me in a way.

7. lineS of flight

lineS of flight Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ugliness is sublime, especially where ThinkPads are concerned...:D

8. Renee

Renee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    "And Lenovo did not detract really from that look, but made it cheaper than the older IBM ThinkPads, and I praise them for that."

I do NOT applaud this at all.

Renee

9. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Two years ago I thought ThinkPads looked hideous but that's when I knew little about ThinkPads. Later the 7900GS inside my Dell died and long story short I fell in love with ThinkPads. To me they are the best-looking laptops out there, followed by Apple and Alienware (the newer M17x, M15x, and M11x).

10. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    ThinkPads aren't ugly, but not visually appealing to the average person. It isn't a Sony. But tend to like a basic notebook design, and that's why I love my new ThinkPad.

No need to get snappy at me...I was just talking about how they kept the same looks/design but at a lower price..

11. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    To me ThinkPad designs are "retro", while there are some variations over time the key fundamentals are still there such as the black paint job, black keyboard, the red trackpoint etc.

For long time ThinkPad users the design gives a sense of nostalgia, looking at my R61e right now it looks like a stretched version of my very first ThinkPad the R50e (which I’m fond of). I’m pretty sure there are “golden oldies” from the early 1990s that provide a much better example than mine!

In a way that’s a good thing, you can’t do that with say a Dell Latitude as it lacks design consistency over time. Plus ThinkPad’s make great collectors items to look back on too - just like someone on this forum in which I shall keep him anonymous hoho! :D

12. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, though the said person removed his signature, people who have been here long enough know who we're talking about here. :D

13. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    If mac didnt use chicklet I would consider getting a 11in MBA. As for thinkpads I LOVE the design of dell business and thinkpads. Sleek and sharp lines mixed with keyboards that cannot be beat (both dell business and thinkpads).

As for the previous dell SXPS series they are pretty nice machines. The onyl thing that turns me off is the lid feels and looks cheap. Mixed with the partially blocked vent makes for a weird computer, but I still love mine. I just wish I could find a use for such a powerful computer other then the occasional DVD backup. That or it got better then 4.5 hours of battery life and had a trackpoint.

14. JWBlue

JWBlue Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally, I think Thinkpads are contemporary looking and sleek.

They are visually appealing to me. Other notebooks are very artsy which is not my style.

15. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Their understated elegance is visually appealing to me as well.

16. blackthinkpad

blackthinkpad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can only find 2 brands of computers on permanent exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art: Apple and ThinkPad. :D

[​IMG]

17. lead_org

Reputations:
    I must meet that mysterious person someday. ;)

Whoa I do have good taste, at least for computing technology.:)

18. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    lol the laptop on the right looks like a Latitude actually...

But ThinkPads have that retro look that I like...

19. OldJim

OldJim Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thinkpads have an understated beauty. I can still remember buying my first one, a used and worn 600. I guess that is one of the qualities I seek in the tools I buy, the ability to age well.

And yes, I still use my Nikon F2. ;)

20. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    It will be a sad day if they ever change the thinkpad styling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.