Ugly Thinkpad?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by graycolor, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graycolor

graycolor Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is it just me or every non-Thinkpad is Ugly? Look at the dell xps and the stuff from Hp. Maybe I've been using my Thinkpad too often, but macbooks and Thinkpads are probably the only "good looking" notebooks.

2. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    I think Thinkpad and MBP are the polar opposite in terms of design philosophy. Personally i like both. I don't find any of the current HP laptops to be particularly attractive in terms of design. The only current Dell laptops i like are the M15x and M17x Alienware, which have something original in terms of design that other laptops don't.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I like the new XPS line over the previous Studio/Studio XPS (biggest garbage line Dell ever released IMO). But you can't really compared an XPS to a business line, but the 3rd generation E series is...ugly. It's horrible. I prefer the older D series to the newer E series. The E6410 is the last decent Latitude not counting the specialized models. Precisions didn't have a major change but it's not like they sell the amount of Precisions compared to the Latitudes. I haven't seen the new Vostro line, but generally they have been kept in check but usually offer funky colors..

HP have been getting worse and worse. HPs got bashed for glossy this glossy that, so everything now has a matte plastic/metal finish but they took a turn for the far worse to service (at least their consumer models). The new Elitebook looks like a glorified Envy, and is everything a business notebook should not be.

I have always respected ThinkPads for their supreme reliability, but I always thought they looked...not so pretty but it has grown on me to which I bought a ThinkPad. That classic look, you know you have a serious business machine. And Lenovo did not detract really from that look, but made it cheaper than the older IBM ThinkPads, and I praise them for that.

4. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    Also i am not sure why HP is offering all the recent Elitebooks in such a shiny silver colour, it is so distracting to look at them sometimes.

5. rossmodel

rossmodel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thinkpad and “good looking" in the same sentence?

6. Markio

Markio Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don't like a lot of bells and whistles, contrasting colorschemes etc. that distract me from using a notebook. That's why thinkpads and MPB's attract to me, they don't get in the way. They both focus on usability and reliability, but with almost opposing design solutions. the thinkpad is something like an 'anti-design' thing, which I like. It's a bit difficult to explain but the 'ugliness' of a thinkpad appeals to me in a way.

7. lineS of flight

lineS of flight Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ugliness is sublime, especially where ThinkPads are concerned...:D

8. Renee

Renee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    "And Lenovo did not detract really from that look, but made it cheaper than the older IBM ThinkPads, and I praise them for that."

I do NOT applaud this at all.

Renee

9. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Two years ago I thought ThinkPads looked hideous but that's when I knew little about ThinkPads. Later the 7900GS inside my Dell died and long story short I fell in love with ThinkPads. To me they are the best-looking laptops out there, followed by Apple and Alienware (the newer M17x, M15x, and M11x).

10. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    ThinkPads aren't ugly, but not visually appealing to the average person. It isn't a Sony. But tend to like a basic notebook design, and that's why I love my new ThinkPad.

No need to get snappy at me...I was just talking about how they kept the same looks/design but at a lower price..