uCode fix for Spectre, HT bug fix and Meltdown.

Discussion in 'Notebook Dummy Guide Articles' started by THEBOSS619, Jun 29, 2017.

1. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was going to say that to you but @inm8#2 got it first

I will put a notice about it as we speak now.

Edit:- Post is updated now :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 7:15 PM
    Vasudev and inm8#2 like this.
  2. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just wanted to point out something here :) and please if you see that I'm wrong correct me then... after all I'm human :)
    [​IMG]

If you see the difference on performance [before the Spectre & Meltdown thingy events] then I'm sure that it will have effect changes on security too same as performance changes :)

I would like to add another thing is I tried to make it load as early as possible by doing this trick :)

Open the registry and go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\cpumcupdate] look at the [Start] key... usually you will find the value will be (2) [Which means Automatic] so... change it to (1) [Which means it will load with the system] :)

I tried to put (0) [Which means it will load at boot] but it didn't work and it failed to apply the new microcode.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 4:48 PM
    tiliarou and Vasudev like this.
  3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I checked my system and can't seem to get OS support to true, the registry fixes should enable it but for some reason it doesn't, any ideas why?

[​IMG]

Still running like a champ, better than ever, maybe AW related?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 6:46 AM
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I tried the automated patch on my MSI 16L13 with the i7 7700K, and while it applied properly, it causes Windows Explorer to behave strangely when I connect a USB drive. ESET NOD32 recognizes it, and I get the popup asking if I want to scan the drive. However, the prompt that usually comes up from Windows itself does not. The drive is accessible and usable in Explorer, but it won't eject when I initiate the command to do so. Uninstalling the patch reverts everything back to normal.

Edit: After applying the registry fix noted here, everything seems to be working normally.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018 at 8:43 PM
    THEBOSS619 and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tip I'll try. I tried adding uCodes to InsydeFlash BIOS but the flashing refused to flash it saying Insecure Image and refused to flash.
    There are some performance decrease and I felt Win 10 mitigated that decrease using some portion of RAM as a result I did see W10 consumed less RAM.

THEBOSS619 likes this.