uCode fix for Spectre, HT bug fix and Meltdown.

Discussion in 'Notebook Dummy Guide Articles' started by THEBOSS619, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I talk about this... I know the fix is half baked and screw perfomance <because of new W10 patch and uCode the CPU is unresponsive on 100% load. So mouse cursor is stuck.>:rolleyes:

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What you guys need to know is this method of applying a microcode update is not low level. Windows will load the kernel before it loads this microcode so it technically is still susceptible to attack. the microcode needs to be applied at the low level/bios level so that it initializes before windows can load its kernel. This method, in essence, is useless to patch spectre. I'm trying to figure out how to extract and update the CPU microcodes from insyde BIOS, but for AMI BIOS it is fairly straightforward.

Ashtrix, Vasudev, tiliarou and 3 others like this.
  3. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well.. many OEM of laptops or desktops abandoned there products due to it is too old to get supported with BIOS updates or they become EOL so... by using this method will get those EOL products some performance + security + bugs fixes and can have a chance to still survive this attack :)

Biggest example is my laptop ASUS ROG GL552VX is being abandoned since 2016 so... :) so I gained alot from this method :)

by the way.. I got fully unlocked BIOS so.. updating the current BIOS to have an updated microcode is just wasting my time + little risk [to me it's fine] because I got the same benefits while using software method :) + it is safer and easy ;)

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  4. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you for pointing this out... it is very important to know and for other users too :)

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm sorry to inform that Ashampoo's spectre check tool is indeed correct since it was reporting vulnerabilities regarding Spectre Variant 2 which is not yet patched. Daz just told me via PM.
    I should have waited a little longer before posting.

Ashtrix, THEBOSS619 and hmscott like this.
  6. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No problem at all still thanks for this valuable information :)

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Raidriar

Reputations:
    Haswell users, be careful when updating your microcode. My haswell based alienware just took a dump after applying the new microcode, was dead within 24 hours of application. Motherboard went kaput, and for the first time in my life, so did the processor (4940MX), so be careful. I'm not saying that this 100% caused this failure, just be wary.

8. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I suspect you updated your cpu microcode through BIOS right? I mean by editing your BIOS file and flashing it so.... well if it is true then... I guess this is another reason to try software method then :)

and sorry to hear about your laptop :(

Vasudev likes this.
  9. inm8#2

inm8#2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm so sorry this happened. :(

Intel seems to have acknowledged there is a problem with the Spectre BIOS fix on Haswell and Broadwell.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-spectre-bios-crash-broadwell-haswell,36324.html

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-security-issue-update-addressing-reboot-issues/

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Raidriar

Reputations:
    I tried the VMware approach, then loaded the code into my modified BIOS, and died within 24 hours of both of these.

THEBOSS619 likes this.