ubuntu on vpcz1

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by space9999, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. space9999

space9999 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    just about to put ubuntu on my vpcz1, anyone else done this ?

2. TofuTurkey

TofuTurkey Married a Champagne Mango

Reputations:
    I vaguely recall someone doing a pure installation (i.e. no VM) having issues with the graphics driver. The more successful ones (and which I'm going for) are those using VMs. Since Win7 seems pretty stable, and drivers for Windows tend to be released earlier, I'll have Windows as the host OS. This is mildly amusing to me because about a year ago I would never think I'll say this some day :)

3. space9999

Reputations:
    thanks very much !!

downloading ubuntu 64 just now and will be gparting and installing along side ult 7 this evening

4. kimbja98

kimbja98 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You managed to do it? I've been toying with the idea (I boot ubuntu isos off the network (kind of useful when you don't have a CD drive and it's twice as fast as USB) and for some reason, it thinks the network card is 10mbit!). Then there's the issue with the dual graphics. It'd be interesting to hear how you get on. I tried the nightly 10.04 and that doesn't seem to work, might give 9.10 another spin.

5. agoma

agoma Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Please keep us updated. I had tried just booting the live CD from 9.04, and got a black screen with artifacts with the Intel graphics. With Nvidia i got to the home screen, but the panels kept on reloading preventing me from using keyboard shortcuts to do anything. The touch pad didn't work.

I only tried this at a Sonystyle store so I couldn't go too far sadly. This is a very important point though, I hope we can get Ubuntu running well with at least with one graphics card!

6. Oscar2

Oscar2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am running VirtualBox 3.1.6 and Ubuntu 9.1. Once you install the extensions it just blends into the background and runs very well. :cool: .
    Running Ubuntu full screen is speedy, no indication of being virtualized.
    Also, it runs just fine at 1920x1200.

Don't forget to turn on the virtualization in the bios.

7. lpx

lpx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've done the same as Oscar2. I tried the live cd for both 9.10 and the latest 10 beta and had issues with the (lack of a) trackpad driver on both and couldn't be bothered to sort it out... performance is fine in VirtualBox.

8. kimbja98

kimbja98 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Apparently the touchpad works if you update the kernel (as does the NIC at full speed)...something which isn't easy on a live CD. I'm going to try installing anyway off a usb drive now just to see how far I get. I also want to do a thorough backup of my hdd (dd if=/dev/sda of=boot.img bs=512 count=1) for the MBR and then ntfsclone for the windows partitions before trying the install!

9. lpx

lpx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Heh, I was going to install onto a USB stick too.

... but apparently 2GB isn't enough and there's no way of even selecting which packages get installed? Bizarre.

10. space9999

Reputations:
    hmmm...
    so i put the ubuntu 9.10 iso onto a cd and booted off of this, on the first boot i got a screen where the resolution was good, but then it rebooted before i could install and on the second boot i got 800x600 - i carried on and installed. the installation went ok but i noticed no mouse pad nor wireless. so i connected wired and updated - 246 files and an update to the kernel and i was still at 800x600 with not wireless. i then updated hardware drivers and the top one was accelerated graphics nvidia 185. after installing this and rebooting i currently get a black screen of nothingness. so am still investigating. will keep you posted.

space

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.