Ubuntu on Sager NP9150 / Clevo P150EM

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by warnock881, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewX192

AndrewX192 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone tested an Nvidia card, or the Radeon HD 7970M to see if the external video outputs work?

I'm pretty sure those outputs won't work if they are connected directly to the Nvidia graphics card. In the case of the AMD card, I'm simply not sure how it works - sounds like the card has to be decided on at the time when X is started.

If someone could test the external video outputs and post the results here, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tb5...

Tb5... Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    any updates or reviews on the gpu linux w. ubuntu on a 9150 machine?

3. AndrewX192

AndrewX192 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Intel HD 4000 graphics works fairly well (up to two external monitors), but both the AMD and Nvidia options are still not working.

4. Tb5...

Tb5... Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    would you recommend using adobe products (illustrator, photoshop, ae) through ubuntu? i've heard there is also something called wine?

i'm looking for the best use of cpu/gpu and i've had ppl telling me to make the switch from win to linux based os.

any info for a noob?

5. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know about Nvidia, but my AMD 7970M works perfectly in Ubuntu 12.04. Even supports switchable graphics.

6. kfoxb

kfoxb Newbie

Reputations:
    Are you using the proprietary or the open source drivers? Do you have to restart your computer every time you switch? I'm hoping to get a P150EM with a 7970M and run 12.04 but I've been worried about how well the graphics card would work.

7. king601

king601 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    how did yo get to run ubuntu with amd 7970m . amd 7970m + graphics switching is supported by amd driver however , in order for these driver to work you need Xorg server v 1.13 but ubuntu has not yet have these version because they are slow . As result , you can only use open source drivers which automatically used by ubuntu when you installed it

8. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Proprietary, and while I don't have to restart the computer, I do have to restart the X server. There's a guy in this thread:

[all variants] AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works - Ubuntu Forums

who wrote a small indicator applet that lets you manually quick switch.

I'm running the version of Xorg that comes by default with 12.04 LTS and it works fine with the fglrx driver.

9. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I haven't bought my Sager 9150 yet but I'm curious if I can force Ubuntu 12.04 to use the dGPU instead of the iGPU on an Nvidia 670m? I can't afford the $200 upgrade for the 7970m & prefer Nvidia over ATI in the long run.

I want to be able to run Ubuntu 12.04 Cinnamon Remix natively & hope to run games in Wine. I'm going to start to buy games on Steam for Linux once they have games I'm interested in. I would like to avoid dual booting with Windows & just use Windows 7 or 8 in a VM when needed. Do you guys think the Sager 9150 would be fit for my situation or did I make a mistake by selling my Early 2011 MBP that I was running Ubuntu very nicely on due to wanting a more powerful laptop,

10. Hurricane9

Hurricane9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just installed Mint 14 on my NP9150.

It's defaulting to the dGPU (7970M) and isn't using my integrated. The fan noise is getting rather annoying. How do I fix that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.