Ubuntu/linux in general and the m14x?

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by elmo93, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abec

abec Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hello there...im new to aw and a big fan of ubuntu...
    been using ubuntu for 3 years on my old laptop...
    i would like to know how is it ubuntu on aw...?
    everything work well for aw or need some tweak...?

sorry for my bad english
    currently did not own a aw but going to get it soon aw m14xr2

2. elmo93

elmo93 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah supposedly. Yet I gave up on getting it to work for my self. You can still try, good luck.

3. MetalgodZ

MetalgodZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As far as I've seen, I've had no problems after figuring out how to get Bumblebee (Optimus support) working. Prior to that, I had to run either without the nVidia drivers installed, or with some other messing around to make things work properly.

I have not done an install directly to 12.04, but started (I think...) around v. 10 of Ubuntu, 64-bit. Pick a version (I'd try 12.04) and try to get it installed. It'll be slow while it's trying to figure out your graphics setup, but it should work. Worst case, do a text-based install and then start a non-Unity session (click the little gear next to the username) and then follow the instructions I posted links to on page one of this thread for installing Bumblebee.

I'm not set up to get PM notifications to any email address I regularly check, but I'm on here every week or two. If you get stuck and can't find an answer, I'll try to help.

4. Blackvoid

Blackvoid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello guys. I'm quite new to Ubuntu and I'm trying to make my gpu working, but I'm not really sure in which order I should install things. I mean I need to install nvidia drivers, bublebee and CUDA no? I did try few times, but after restart I had no icons on desktop and didn't know what to do with it. Also I don't really know how I can find out if my gpu is working as it should. Bublebee seemed to. But Ubuntu won't recognize my second display and I don't really know how to istall it...

Any help would be appretiated. Thank you

5. johannesynt

johannesynt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm not very expert, and presently i'm waiting for my m14x (I ordered it today), but in an italian forum (i'm italian) i read about a lots of problems with optimus nvidia and linux. I think the problem for a second display is that the HDMI is hardwired to the nvidia (if you have a display port hardwired to ivy bridge, i think there's no problem for second screen); so i don't have a solution for you, but i hope this is useful for searching solutions

6. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    So is it working on the discrete only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.