Ubuntu 21.04 ‘Hirsute Hippo’

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Good first impression. Unlike LTS, recognised my WiFi 6 adapter! :)

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. etern4l

Reputations:
    Took for a spin after a long break from Linux desktop. Pretty awesome on my m15. All hardware works out of the box. Smooth. Optimus works, and battery life is much better than on Windoze out of the box, even without undervolting. Undervolting seems to be working too. Things like Netflix and Spotify work. Time to celebrate Windows 11, by migrating away from bloated MS spyware..

Only snag with Live CD is Ubuntu Software doesn't work, not a big deal.

4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    On my XPS 13 which came with Ubuntu 20.04, it keeps prompting me to upgrade to 21, I hit upgrade, nothing happens. Tried rebooting but still no luck. Not sure what to do.

@jclausius

Vasudev likes this.
  5. etern4l

Reputations:
    Anything in Logs?

You can also try updating and upgrading from the command line.

https://www.makeuseof.com/update-ubuntu-command-line/

I would backup first though, which begs the question: what's the best way to backup the entire Linux volume, a'la Macrium Reflect which doesn't support Linux I believe.

Edit: good discussion here https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/506064/create-an-image-of-the-partition-only-the-used-space

Dd and clonezilla look like good imaging options.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  6. etern4l

Reputations:
    Problem! Proprietary Nvidia driver is not working..

I installed the 460 driver as per the below

https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.ph...ia-driver-switch-between-intel-nvidia-ubuntu/

-prime-select query returns nvidia

But 'Nvidia Settings' window is empty, and nvidia-smi complains it cannot communicate with the driver. A few fps in Heaven benchmark on extreme preset.

Any ideas? I'm running in a live session, perhaps that's what's causing the issue?

Vasudev likes this.
  7. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Are you still in this state with Ubuntu? If you still want to go to 21.04, first make a known good backup of your system.

1) Open a prompt, and run:
    "sudo apt-get update" # without the quotes

2) assuming this runs successfully, next run:
    "sudo apt-get upgrade" # again, without the quotes

Those steps will do a command line upgrade of your system.

8. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    Nope, I wiped Linux, I hate it to death man!

I tried installing Wine because I need to use a text replacement app called PhaseExpress. I followed the instructions to the dot, copy/pasting many lines of commands then after all was done. Nothing was installed. Screw this OS which requires an engineering degree in coding to install a basic app.

Another thing I hated is every thing I want to do needs a freakin' password. Lile seriously, I'm all into security and stuff but this is way too much. Needing a password to change the date then within seconds prompting me for a password to check for software updates. Heck, if I wanted to go to the restroom it would ask me for a password.

@Mr. Fox @kojack @Papusan

Microshaft can track me all they want just let me stay away from this half baked OS.

9. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    sorry to hear that, but I understand. There are certain compromises you make with the OS. Hopefully MS will get their act together so you don't even have to give this a second thought in your case.

>> "Heck, if I wanted to go to the restroom it would ask me for a password." - LOL!!

Vasudev, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. etern4l

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear that.

FYI A 10 second google produced a likely solution to the sudo password issue:

https://vitux.com/how-to-disable-the-sudo-password-in-linux-mint-20-and-ubuntu-linux/

Wine is not really part of the OS, you can't reasonably blame Linux for not running Windows software.
    If you have some hard Windows dependencies Wine doesn't solve, and you don't want to or cannot run them in a VM then that's it.

To call Linux half-baked is simply ridiculous though, given that the entire Web runs on it, including MS's Azure services allegedly.

The price of freedom from Windoze is that the technical bar for the user is definitely higher. You don't need an engineering agree, but you do need to know some basics (and manage your own expectations) to have a good experience. As always, enthusiasm and can-do attitude definitely help, and Prof Google is at your service :)

BTW the choice of distro can also weigh on your experience, e. g. Pop!_OS desktop seems more polished than bare Ubuntu.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    theoak2, steberg, Vasudev and 2 others like this.