TwoFingerScroll (two finger scrolling done right! + more)

Discussion in 'HP' started by MacHater, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skypros

skypros Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    MacHater.... THANK YOU so much for this program.
    One of the things I liked about my mac was the "smooth" 2 finger scroll... But there was NO windows pc trackpads that were even close.... UNTIL NOW, so far your program is working great!!!

2. aBs0lut3z33r0

aBs0lut3z33r0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thxs , the jumping cursor was irritating

Can you plz post a table of what settings need to be disabled in synaptics driver for each feature in this vs working correctly

3. Kantastic

Kantastic Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey MacHater, I was wondering if this worked for laptops with regular Synaptics touchpads? I have a Compaq CQ60-220US and couldn't get it to work with the Synaptics driver. I tried by disabling multifinger gestures in Synaptics and leaving your software open, and I couldn't scroll. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong?

4. tiwahu

tiwahu Newbie

Reputations:
    MacHater, awesome work. Simple two-finger scroll and two-finger tap for right-click are key. Three-finger for middle-click even works most of the time.

Some Synaptics setting tips for others:
    • I found reassigning the actual hardware left-button action to be a middle-click was useful.
    • All checkboxes under scrolling are off.
    • I left pinch-zoom on, but you can tell there's a little software disagreement with what should happen at times, so I don't us it much. (I get more control with Ctrl + "two finger scroll" for zoom anyway.)
    • Tapping, Tap again and hold, and Locking Drags are all on...since I like that feature.

Synaptics control panel has two-finger scrolling (with coasting!), which I was using, but MacHater's build has support for two- and three-finger taps.

I miss the Synaptics coasting a little bit. I hoped the "Keep scolling on edges" would work for me, but I found that option was pretty irritating. The edge scrolling was pretty slow. More importantly, once my fingers reached an "edge" I had to lift my fingers up and put them back down to scroll back the other way. The edge regions are unforgiving gutters of a bowling lane. Much more enjoyable after turning it off.

Finally, the system tray app works fine, except if you need use an app as an administrator (e.g., Visual Studio), the super sweet features (e.g., two-finger tap right-click) don't work. If you run Two Finger Scroll as an administrator also, then they are available; however, the checkbox to run the app at startup doesn't work any more. Maybe there's a good solution for this?

EDIT: Found a way to automatically run it with elevated privileges by scheduling a task to do it.

5. fakenjones

fakenjones Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think the provided link is down.... Could someone pleaase upload it again? That would be greatly appreciated, looking forward to finally using this mod.

EDIT: nvm it is up again, thnx for making this work MacHater.

6. Delimeat567

Delimeat567 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I feel like an idiot asking this, but how the hell do you install this thing? When I click the application provided on the TabletPCReview website after downloading, nothing happens...

Am I supposed to extract this somewhere special??

7. SDreamer

SDreamer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Check the notification area. There should be a new icon there that allows you to change the settings.

8. Delimeat567

Delimeat567 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yep, surely enough there were about 8 different icons for it because I had clicked it so many times :p

New problem though: Whenever I put my computer to sleep, upon resumption the two finger scroll doesn't work anymore. Solution?

9. Kretschmer

Kretschmer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm really liking this mod, and use it to A)enable two-finger right clicking, B)make three-finger tapping do something other than open a program, and C)reduce two-finger scrolling to a sane speed.

Right now it seems to create two issues when in use:
    1) With the stock driver, you can change the "active area" of the touchpad. This is extremely useful for turning the "buttons" on the clickiepad into real buttons and prevent accidental scrolling, clicking, etc from the button areas. Unfortunately, the two-finger clicking enabled by this nifty mod is triggered by the button areas still, causing errant contextual menus when I'm keeping a finger at the ready on the button while doing something else on the trackpad. Would it be possible to add an option or toggle to disable contextual input from the button areas of the trackpad? (Or have a draggable "input area" box like the stock driver?)

2) TwoFingerScroll seems to kill "EdgeMotion" functionality (or I've screwed up its settings).

Thanks again for making the touchpad usable! You rock!

10. noisy_lightning

noisy_lightning Newbie

Reputations:
    I am loving this program, having the ability to double tap for right click is a savour!

One request for the dev though, any chance of implementing something similar to coasting that is an option in the synaptics settings. I have come to rely on that and am missing it quite a bit.

Otherwise great work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.