Two COMPLIMENTARY machines with specific requirements

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by swooph, Nov 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swooph

swooph Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    As far as I'm aware only the XPS 15 and XPS 13 come close to ticking all these boxes, but someone correct me if i'm wrong..

I need TWO machines. One, more equipped as a desktop replacement 15 inch plus UHD screen, fast, big ram, 1tb SSD minimum, dedicated graphics (no gaming - just adobe) - should still be a light machine however.

the other, small, but still high spec. in an ideal world both with use the same charger etc to make the whole bag an acceptable weight.

Both machines will travel with me everywhere on long trips away... the idea is the 15 stays in the hotel room as the work horse, the 13 becomes the "go everywhere" machine.

Right, specs

1) What is your budget?
    be great if i could get both under £3000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15 + and 13-14

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Don't mind

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Everything except gaming. Sound and Video editing. Should be a very high spec machine with decent dedicated video for Adobe Suite. If I'm not mistaken Adobe loves cores, and I hear the 8th gen U processors are very impressive in this area and could make use of the cida cores of a 1050 or above.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    NO

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    More the merrier - bad battery life will rule the machine out. happy to tolerate a battery slice

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Don't mind

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Win 10

Screen Specifics

12)
    I LOVE big resolution but wont tolerate a glossy screen. so if it's glossy i prefer to go down to a 1080 and get a non-reflective.
    Bigger machine would need to be a UHD, smaller, could tolerate FHD

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Now

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    2-3 years minimum

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    I need a big SSD but am happy to install my own.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No

MUST HAVES

- Backlit keys (both)

WOULD LIKE TO HAVES (but not deak breakers)
    -
    Be nice to have at least one traditional / old USB 3 (both machines)
    - in an ideal world this laptop will have DEDICATED pg up and down keys (no pressing ctrl / shift) (SMALL machine)
    - excellent scroll pad / gestures
    - Up-gradable SSD / RAM would be lovely but not a must, if the machine is of high enough spec. (1TB SSD bare minimum if the machine is not upgrade-able (512GB in the small machine an absolute minimum)

I think that's it. Any help, as ever, greatly appreciated.

2. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Today's 15 inch thin and light laptops are the size of 14 inch laptops of years past due to the thin bezels

I'm confused though why you want a UHD screen? I would recommend FHD every time especially on a smaller screen laptop due to the issues with DPI scaling in Windows because you won't be able to see anything at the native 4K resolution on a small screen but that's up to you

the only 4K anti glare in a thin and light =
    Gigabyte Aero 15X v8-BK4K4P - 15.6" UHD w/ GTX 1070 Max-Q

The battery size on the Aero 15 is 94Whr not 97WHr like Dell XPS 15 but it's still considered class leading! 3 WHr won't make any difference...who knows which model will actually have more battery life.

Also check the FHD variant of the Aero 15 - comes with both 1060 and 1070 Max-Q. It's the size of a 14 inch laptop so maybe you might consider getting just one of these

Gigabyte Aero 15W v8-BK4 - 15.6" FHD 144Hz w/ GTX 1060

Gigabyte Aero 15X v8-BK4 - 15.6" FHD 144Hz w/ GTX 1070 Max-Q

For a 13 inch laptop there is the Alienware 13 and while it's not as wide, it's thicker and heavier than the Aero 15 and X1 Extreme and it has the older 7th gen i7-7700HQ:

Custom Built Alienware 13 R3 - GTX 1060

HIDevolution has excellent build quality, thermal paste application to ensure the laptop doesn't over heat and superb customer service / warranty. They also have an international Global Warranty if you want which covers shipping costs both ways should you ever need to ship back the laptop for repair in addition to lifetime tech support

Remember, before ordering, if you email donald@hidevolution.com you can get the NBR Discount as well

Hope this helps

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Maybe you need a Thinkpad or Dell Precision that fit your requirements. 2 laptops with same config is a hassle to carry and take frequent backups when you are traveling. Those Thinkpads/Z Book/Precision can be expensive.
    What Ultra Male said GB Aero 15 will fit your needs esp. GTX 1060 version. Its cheaper than most workstation but does have long battery runtimes because of Optimus and bigger battery.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I've got a Dell Precision 5510 as my main notebook and a Latitude 7370 for when I want to travel light. Both have a top quality Sharp FHD non-glare panel. The 7370 has a Core m CPU so it won't win any speed-based tournaments but it will win any quietness competitions as it doesn't have a fan. Check the specs for the Precision 5520 and the Latitude 7380 / 7390, read reviews (particularly notebookcheck) then see what you can find on Dell UK Outlet (as you mention a budget in £). RAM and SSD are easy user upgrades so don't worry about insufficient RAM / storage. Also look on ebay for listings which have the manufacturer's warranty. There are people who make a living bulk-buying from Dell Outlet whenever there's an offer to then resell.

John

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think for the 15-inch laptop these are your best options: noteb search.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information
    Not sure if the video card has to be Nvidia. Otherwise, my first choice is the Thinkpad X1 Extreme.

It's decently priced on Lenovo's website: https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/ThinkPad-X1-Extreme/p/22TP2TXX1E1
    Another good option is an XPS or Dell Precision from Dell's UK Outlet.

For the smaller laptop, I did another search here: noteb search.
    I suppose I will suggest again a Lenovo Thinkpad, the T480s. Price is also ok: https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/ThinkPad-T480s/p/22TP2TT480S

The laptops I recommended I easy upgradable, are business grade, meaning they have excellent build quality and reliability and should last you a while.

I also suggest, if you buy both laptops from Lenovo, call Lenovo and haggle with them on the phone, you might shave off 100 quid or so.

Vasudev likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.