[Tutorial] VBIOS Mod for Plug and Play Drivers (GT60/70 Ivy Bridges)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by DMTwo, Mar 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balint Sipos

Balint Sipos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for getting back to me DMTwo (and sorry that it took ME a while, I wasn't really monitoring this after a while)

So here are the Hardware IDs: http://prntscr.com/e16r4w

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D8&SUBSYS_110C10DE&REV_A1

Now I actually need to upgrade to Win10, no other choice, so I am really trying to find a solution to this.
    Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

ps. I am happy to just mod the INF also if that would provide a more sure solution

Balint

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  2. DMTwo

DMTwo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can try the ID 112D, try to mod the nvmii.inf file where you find the 112D replace it by 110C, also as your subvendor is recognized as 10DE, you also must replace the 1462 by 10DE.

I modded a INF file to you, this is the latest version right now (378.49).
    If this modded INF work for you, a modded vBIOS will eliminate the need of modded INF files for future updates.

Try it and let me know the results, I hope it work fine, after that I can help you in the next steps.

Attached Files:

3. py930828

py930828 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just came out a question if you would like to discuss, do you know if there is a way to output 4K from this this old GT60 with HM77? I don't expect a yes, but just by any chance if anyone figured out a way?
    Also, the windows 10 optimus bug didn't get fixed on 15007 build, so bad:(

4. DMTwo

DMTwo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Before my GT60, I had a HP Envy with switchable GPUs, one integrate and one dedicated, the transition between them should be done before launching an application, if activated you couldn't change the GPU unless you quit the application was using it, there was also a blink (1-2s) when the GPUs got changed, probably the outputs were merged and you had to disable one to activate the other.
    I was able to set an extended Desktop using two monitors as 1 big monitor (Eyefinity).

I lost this ability when I bought the GT60, and a long time ago, right after I got my 980M, I tried to set nVidia surround, I saw that the 980M could do it, but I wasn't able to set it.
    After doing some research, I find out that Optimus had a different behavior, all the display connections are managed only by iGPU, the dGPU render screens and them send the image to iGPU to be displayed.

Let`s go back to your question about the maximum resolution.
    The HD4000 present in the Ivy bridge officially supports resolutions up to 2560x1600 (60Hz) through DisplayPort and 1920x1600 (60Hz) throught HDMI.
    It’s possible to set 3 independent displays, if 2 of them are connected by DisplayPort and one by VGA/HDMI/WiDi.
    Unfortunately my GT60 uses a LVDS connector to the integrated screen, there`s a VGA and a HDMI output, so for me there`s no way to use 3 screens at the same time.

Check this information on this link -> http://www.intel.com/content/www/US/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005556.html

I saw some people that achieved other resolutions using custom options with Intel display manager, like 3840x2560 (29Hz), but this should be tested with your system, and also there’s a problem when you are working beyond the hardware limit, just like an overclock, it can be unstable and dangerous.

5. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Commenting to keep this under my observation.

Considering a 980M for my GT70.

The 680M, even though it is OC'd and OV'd, is starting to bottleneck my unlocked ES 3720QM at 4GHz.. Oh sad days

6. superguy25

superguy25 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That GT60/70 series is hard to let go of. I haven't replaced mine yet either - it's still handling everything I can throw at it. I just got a thin and light to take with me when I travel if I don't need the horsepower.

jaug1337 likes this.
  7. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Yes, I got my Lenovo Chromebook for the lightweight traveling/uni/online work. Nothing special.

My GT70 has everything I need, my GPU is the only bottleneck at this moment, I have considered either faster RAM or OC my RAM too but I can't seem to get stable 1866 so I just put it on a break.

8. superguy25

Reputations:
    I don't think OC'ing your RAM will help all that much. 2-3% maybe, but not worth replacing, IMO. More could help, depending on what you do with your system, but if you already have 16 GB it, you're pretty much good for most things. I even upgraded to a 3920XM in mine and in all honesty, I don't see that much of a difference over the 3630QM for most things I do. Going to a 970M/980M has been the biggest performance difference for me - well, that and a good SSD.

jaug1337 likes this.
  9. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    I am good with my SSD, the wear minuscule and if fits me.

Yeah cba to do anything with the memory tbh, my 3720QM is a Engineering Sample, so it is unlocked :p - but the GPU is crippling my system, I am at the very limit of how much I can push it.

Still debating whether to sell my 680M and buy a 980M or wait until the 680M dies on me and then purchase a 980M.

10. superguy25

Reputations:
    Yeah, it'll depend if it's still playing what you what at an acceptable rate and quality. I don't think you'll get much for it - maybe $100-200 USD at the most. It's up to you whether that's worth waiting a bit or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.