[Tutorial] VBIOS Mod for Plug and Play Drivers (GT60/70 Ivy Bridges)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by DMTwo, Mar 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMTwo

DMTwo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not experiencing any type of BSOD with new drivers.
    In fact since I made the changes in my vBIOS and my system is plug and play, I don't remember the last time I got a BSOD.

But I don't let the webcam activated, so I can't tell you for sure if this the webcam is the problem.
    Do you need the webcam activated all the time?

2. Subil

Subil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I dont remember the last time I used the webcam on this laptop, I just found it strange that if I leave it enabled the system will eventually BSOD. If I leave it disabled, it never happens. I am going on day 2 without a BSOD. All this computer has on it are drivers and firefox. I havent installed a single thing. I will give it another day and then activate the camera and see what happens. Its just a strange effect.

3. Balint Sipos

Balint Sipos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    He guys,

I am looking to take advantage of the free Win10 upgrade but I wanted to know if my GPU would still work and I could install the GPU driver properly.

I am using modded INF files (Omega provided it in another thread for version 359.06) currently on Win7 to get the Clevo GTX 970M working in my MS-1761 laptop (it's techically called FORCE 1761 as it came from XoticPC).
    You guys are mentioning only Ivy Bridges. This machine is an i7-2630QM Sandy Bridge. Would this method still work? If it does would I need to change any values?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can provide :)

Just for reference here is the EC/FW I've upgraded to previously:
    E1761IG6.30H
    1761EG61.405

unnamed (1).png

edit: what's wrong with this screenshot?? why is it broken? In any case here it is: http://prntscr.com/bx6pgn

4. superguy25

superguy25 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Been awhile since I've been here.

Are the bios files in post #2 just flash and go? Or do they need to be modified?

And what's the difference between .11 and the .13 versions for the 970m?

Thanks,

Super

5. DMTwo

Reputations:
    Sorry to take so long to answer you!

Well let me see your device, it is under Details tab, Hardware IDs, copy or take a screenshot to me.
    It should be something like:
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_11311462&REV_A1 (This is mine)
    Maybe this mod can work with you too and you get free from modded GPU drivers.

6. DMTwo

Reputations:
    Sorry to take so long to answer you!

The files on 2nd post are ready to go, it's just flash it.
    I really don't know what is the difference between .11 and .13.
    For my 980M one version show the memory and core clocks correctly (2F0079) and other doesn't (3E0001), give it a try.

7. py930828

py930828 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, thank you so much for your tutorial, it helped so much. I posted this method on Chinese forum and people found it to be really helpful, this is the link; http://www.cbber.com/thread-96358-1-1.html.

I have some question, some people wondering how these number work in terms of decimal? 62 14 31 11 from hex to 1131 in decimal simply doesn't work in that way? Some people wanna apply this method to GTX1060, we do know the DEVICE ID that we want to change to, but we don't know how to convert the decimal to "hex"?

8. DMTwo

Reputations:
    Actually the number already is in hexadecimal, but the order is changed, bytes are in the Little Endian order (least significant byte first, indicative of Intel platforms) so 62 14 31 11 translates to 1462 (MSI Vendor ID) 1131 (GTX 980M Device ID).

To the GTX 1060, it can also works, but I don't know if there's a way to fix the checksum.
    Up to now I haven't heard about a Pascal vBIOS Tweaker, so it would be necessary to recalculate the checksum manually.

About the device ID, for my GTX 980M I had to try every combination that was avaliable in the nvmii.inf file, there was 6 or 7 Devices IDs for the 980M, and only the 1131 worked with Optimus enabled in my Clevo board.

For the 1060 it will be necessary to check how many models are in the nvmii.inf file to try out each one BEFORE modding the vBIOS.

Let me know if I can help you on anything else.

9. py930828

py930828 Newbie

Reputations:
    What a coincidence! We actually know how to solve the problem you describe. Before we applied your method, we can actually make optimus work in GT60 with the device id of 110C(CLEVO), the way of doing it is here, http://www.cbber.com/thread-94106-1-1.html, it's in Chinese, but since we have a better way of solving this problem, I'm not going too much detail of this.

Also, other question, if you are using WIN10, you are definitely experiencing the optimus frozen problem right? Like the system will switch to dGPU in some certain application like just clicking the start menu, and the system will froze about 1 second, and switch back to integrated graphics card. We have a thread just about this in NVIDIA forum here https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/860554/geforce-mobile-gpus/windows-10-and-optimus/, however, NVIDIA doesn't seem to want to solve this problem. I'm wondering if you have any solution?

10. DMTwo

Reputations:
    Now that you have talked about this behavior, I have it sometimes.
    I thought was a problem in my system, but I can see that is a problem with the combination Win10 and Optimus.
    I saw in that forum that M$ is aware about this issue and maybe the next version of Win10 will fix it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.