[Tutorial] VBIOS Mod for Plug and Play Drivers (GT60/70 Ivy Bridges)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by DMTwo, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Ahsan Rameez

Ahsan Rameez Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ok bro thanks so much
    i am waiting for my card i hope next week i will get .i informe you what happen first i am going to try install normal without modifying any thing

2. Ahsan Rameez

Ahsan Rameez Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    bro can i get your email so i informe you i hope you will help me

3. Aileron31527

Aileron31527 Newbie

Reputations:
    I uninstalled my upgraded 970m on an MSI GT60 0ND 444US on accident and now it isn't being detected and I was hoping flashing the bios would help.

I created a file with nvflash but when I tried using the NvidiaInspector it comes up blank with no information. Does this mean my dGPU is not being detected? If so, should I try to fix this before continuing with the next steps in this guide?

Thanks for the help!

4. 3dguy

3dguy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a MSI GT70 2PC i want to put a 970 or 980 in.... i am told that a 1060 will work but i am skeptical

seems for the 980m I need another Vbios which is unavailable it seems

may also need to update the RC firmware. maybe.

I hope you can be kind as this is my work machine and the video card died a few days ago and i need a replacement very quickly. thanks you

5. DMTwo

DMTwo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry for the delay in my response.
    Did you manage to solve your problem?

6. DMTwo

DMTwo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Man, If I were you, I would go for the 1060.
    It will heat less, the power draw is lower and the performance is almost the same or even higher than the 980M.

Is it your first mod in this system?

When choosing a GTX 1060 board pay attention to the board size and if it is G-Sync.
    I've read some time ago that G-Sync boards are not compatible with our systems.

I strongly recommend to you to search a lot before start.
    Keep in mind that will not be a Plug and Play procedure, you my find out some challenging problems to solve.
    I list the main 2, heatsink mod to the new board and software issues to get it working.

Maybe you can find usefull information in the original thread about the GT60/GT70 GPU modification [Link].

Unfortunately I will not be able to help you with modifications on series 1000 since I don't have it to test myself.
    This guide can give you directions, but they can be a little bit different, specially the software mod.

I don't want to put you down or make you give up the mod, I just warning you that it will be hard, but usually the most satisfying things are the hardest ones, don't you agree?

7. astrayoutframe

astrayoutframe Newbie

Reputations:
    Been a silent reader for a while, and it seems i'm kinda late into the game, but better late than never, right?:p
    Firstly, i wanna say thanks a lot to everybody, especially good sir @DMTwo and @omega939 , who contributed a lot to this GT60/70 upgrade project, i can't thank you enough, man, you guys saved me a lot of money with this!!

So i have things to discuss here, but first i list things i've done/upgraded so far (BTW my unit is MSI GT60-0NC):
    - Upgraded the CPU to i7-3840QM
    - Upgraded the GPU to GTX 980M (Clevo card, using vBIOS from this thread)
    - Updated the BIOS to 51X
    - Updated the EC to T18
    - Upgraded the AC adapter to 330 watts (got shutoffs before, with stock 180 watts adapter while gaming, my guess is lack of power, now it runs fine with 330)

My problem is, while everything runs fine, driver installed correctly, games & benchmark runs normally as intended (low score on firestrike though, 8913 on graphics :(), the CPU & GPU clocks fluctuate like crazy, even when using Throttlestop, it helps a little, but power limit throttle still occurs on both. From what i read on the main thread (which seems dead, hence i post here, hope you guys read this), the T18 EC is already unlocked, which means 330 watts adapter should already be supported, right? so what's wrong here?

8. omega939

omega939 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is your firmware T18EC modded or stock? To prevent from throttling your GT60 you should have a modded EC firmware to avoid throttling. Or ask SVET in MSI forums to mod the ec firmware for you.

9. astrayoutframe

astrayoutframe Newbie

Reputations:
    idk, i got it from the main upgrade thread here along with the BIOS, but i read there that the T18 EC is already unlocked...i read somewhere else that the vBIOS could also be the culprit, is that right??

10. omega939

omega939 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If your bios is unlocked and you still got throttling or stuttering issues, try checking your gpu to the heatsink if the thermal pads is properly touching where it is suppose to dissipate heat.