TUTORIAL: How to reformat and do a clean install of Windows 8 on Samsung Series 9 laptops

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by lzrsfa, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkuterPL

SkuterPL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello,
    From a few days I have problem with my 9th ;) it works very slow, I don't know why, I don't have any virus, because I checked it by diffrent programms and now I am thinking about clean instalation 8.1 with my DVD disc (I don't want to use recovery, because there is normal 8 and I would have to do update to 8.1, it is waste of time), and I have a few questions, before doing it, because always I did normal format + drivers from page of producer notebook, but this notebook is a little different (fast start, fast start from sleep mode, etc):

1. I want to do clean instalation without deleting recovery disc, because I read that service can't repair it without recovery, so I am going to format disc C and instal clean instalation.
    2. Install all drives from SWupdate and intel site.
    3. What with "fast" things? I have to do something? IRST wasn't on windows 8, wasn't it? or I have to install, do something else?

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I recommend you first try to do some debugging.

Use HWiNFO to check that the CPU is running over the full speed range. People have unwittingly locked their CPU down to 800MHz by enabling either Silent mode or Eco mode. Then look at the CPU Utilisation in Task Manager. It should be below 5% when idle. Even 30% (usually an indication of a program fully loading one core) should noticeably affect the overall performance.
    Also look at the RAM utilisation. If you installed IntelliMemory (often recommended by SW Update) then uninstall it.

John

3. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I afraid you will not be able to go directly to W8.1. The embedded W8 key will not pass on a W8.1 disc, don't ask me why, it's MS being MS. I suppose if you have a working 8.1 key you may be able to install and do a phone activation, but I wouldn't count on it. There is fast start, fast storage, fast boot. Fast storage is probably the only one you'd want on W8.

4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hey SkuterPL,

In addition to the issue with Product Key for Win8 vs 8.1 that go45cvi mentioned, there is a risk that clean install of 8.1 may damage your Recovery. A few members have mentioned that (though far from all).

Ordinarily (when just clean installing Win7 or Win8) you should be safe if you simply format the C drive (as you mentioned yourself) and leave the two Samsung Recovery partitions alone (the ones at the end of the drive). But again, some members have reported that Win8.1 clean install prevented their Recovery from working afterwards.

If you DO decide to proceed with the 8.1 clean install (again, assuming you have a Product Key) I highly recommend you first create a Bootable Factory Image Backup in Recovery, as described in the first two steps of this post. That will allow you to re-image your drive no matter how messed up it becomes.

5. SkuterPL

Reputations:
    @John Ratsey

In Task Manager all time I see 2,7Ghz, so I don't have enabled silent mode (I have never used it)

IntelliMemory I uninstalled after bought it

@go45cvi

Have you checked it themself?

It is very stupid that I cannot install 8.1 directly, I have to double work to do if it is true

@Dannemand

I don't affraid do clan install Windows, because I always do that, the recovery isn't need for me, so even I could delete it, but I read that service wants it :/

6. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Indeed, if you have access to Win8 install media (which many don't) and are familiar with UEFI/GPT installations (which many aren't) preserving Recovery is not that important.

The other reasons to preserve it (or back it up) are (1) if you want to sell the computer someday, and (2) if you get a problem and need to prove to Samsung that it's a hardware defect so that they will accept a warranty repair.

7. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @go45cvi

Have you checked it themself?

It is very stupid that I cannot install 8.1 directly, I have to double work to do if it is true

Here is a possible workaround, but I haven't tried it. Not sure if it will work with the embedded key (which you will have to extract).

Installing Windows 8.1 (or 8) without a product key · Medo's Home Page

Here is a trick for getting the W8.1 iso if you have a W8 key (not sure if it works with embedded though, did work on my upgrade key).

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-download-windows-81-iso-windows-8-product-key

If you get it to work post back, but I agree that you should do a full backup before attempting. Better yet, get a new drive if you still have a sandisk.

8. SkuterPL

Reputations:
    the 2nd way looks very good, but could you tell me if I understand it well.

I will download win 8.1 with my orginal key which is bulit in BIOS? and this ISO will be only for my computer?

Because I have clean 8.1 ISO from MSDNA, even I have key, but I woudn't want to use it, because maybe in the future I will use it for another PC, because I have orginal key in my computer I prefer to use it.

I think that PC a little was faster, because I uninstall and install kaspersky, because I had problem with it, very many times I got hang up with information about scanning pendrive etc.

9. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Right so the second link is only if you wanted to download 8.1 iso with 8 (upgrade) key if you don't have MSDN. The 8.1 iso WILL NOT allow you to install with a W8 key. But the first link seems to be a workaround where you can edit the iso so it installs without any key, then you could possibly add your embedded W8 key (provided the version matches, i.e. pro or core) and activate in Windows, after the fact. I am not sure whether it would work with an embedded key that has been extracted but I think it may.

Antivirus can often cause problems and I don't recommend using anything beyond Microsoft's built-in. If you still have problems, I think you are probably better off doing a restore, uninstalling the bloat and doing the 8.1 upgrade. But if you want a challenge... Either way, make sure you backup.

It is extremely annoying how MS has made reinstalls a complete nightmare in W8.

10. SkuterPL

Reputations:
    thanks for the information.

Now aftert restart kapsersky my computer works better, but if I want to do clean install, I will use 2nd way ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.