TUTORIAL: How to reformat and do a clean install of Windows 8 on Samsung Series 9 laptops

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by lzrsfa, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @urgiv: It sounds like you were installing an Enterprise version of Win8 which relies on the company running a server to keep track of installations and Product Keys. I don't think it will work correctly with the Product Key in your BIOS.

If your laptop came with Win8 -- and unless you have Win8 install media matching what came with it -- you are better off trimming the factory installation. You can use this post as general guidance.

If you DO have proper Win8 install media matching the Win8 that came with your PC, you shouldn't have any of these problems. Unfortunately Microsoft doesn't make them available for download, unless you have an MSDN/TechNet subscription or are a student.

The following links talk about legal ways of obtaining Win8 install media. "Alternative" ways cannot be discussed on the forum:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...y-bridge-np900x3e-np900x3f-3.html#post9323404
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/706510-samsung-laptops-bricked-using-uefi-9.html#post9287299
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...780z5e-np870z5e-np880z5e-205.html#post9312619

You could also contact Microsoft and/or Samsung and ask for help. You own the Win8 license that came with your PC, so maybe they will help you resolve the activation issue.

2. patates

patates Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    what happens if i install windows 8 with a different OEM version from my machine's? does it cause problems because you op said we should choose machine's OEM version?

can you please answer me?

3. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Hi patates, welcome to NBR.

If I remember correctly, members who tried this were NOT able to complete installation properly with different Win8 media. Others reported they were able to upgrade using the Add Features to Windows 8 control panel (see here). And yet others reported that calling Microsoft resolved their licensing issues. I would expect the latter should work out if you have a legit Product Key and install media.

Hopefully others can provide more concrete answers.

4. patates

patates Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. BenSanford

BenSanford Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm getting frustrated with this. I tried to do an upgrade from Win 8 to win 8.1. Upgrade wouldn't proceed because "Easy Settings" was identified as not being compatible with win8. Uninstaller in control panel wouldn't run because it said easy settings was disabled because of incompatibilities with win 8. So I used revouninstaller to remove it, but unfortunately that also disabled by network adapters.

I'm having difficulty finding the correct adapters to install from Samsung. It just wants me to run SW update (newest version), but without a network connection that won't work. So am trying to download drivers on my desktop, and them move them to laptop by usb drive.

At this point I would just as soon do a clean install on the laptop, but apparently win 8.1 isn't available as an ISO.

Edit - Later...

Fortunately, :)

I was able to get back to where I was before forcing the removal of Easy Settings, so am back working with Win 8, and can't upgrade. Maybe I will just wait a few days, and see what new drivers come from Samsung, or if I can get the ISO I need to do a clean install.

6. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Hi BenSanford,

Easy Settings should never have been installed in Win8 in the first place. It was written for Win7 and is not compatible with Win8 (even though parts of it work). See the Settings/Easy Settings thread for clarification of that:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/729139-settings-easy-settings-what-you-need-know.html

On top of that, Win 8.1 breaks Samsung's existing drivers, and they haven't yet released updated drivers for it. Some members have had horrific upgrade experiences of almost semi-bricking their computers. See the Win 8.1 sticky thread for that discussion:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...pgrade-until-samsung-has-updated-drivers.html

You are in much better shape, since you at least have a partially running system. Your goal should be to roll back to Win8, if you can, and wait for Samsung to release updated drivers. Depending on which model you have, you can use Recovery (F4, not the Windows app) or Win8's Refresh feature to do this. If you are VERY lucky, the upgrade will have created a Windows Restore Point that you can restore.

Once you have your computer running normally again, watch the 8.1 thread for updates before attempting the upgrade again.

BenSanford likes this.
  7. BenSanford

BenSanford Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply.

I am back at my starting point, so will take your advice and wait.

Ben

Dannemand likes this.
  8. matthias2468

matthias2468 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I somewhere read that not installing Windows 8 with SB enabled has disadvantages (in the later running OS).

I found e.g. this for instructions: Windows 8 UEFI Secure Boot on clean install | Eraser and Crowbar

So can one, in general, install Win 8 in Secure Boot on the Ativ 9?

Also, I am going to buy a separate system builder DVD of Win 8.1 to install on my Series 9 (X3E-K06) [not X3G 9 plus, fyi], that came with Win 8.0 pro preinstalled. (I want a transferrable license). I hope that I will be able to install this correctly despite the motherboard product key of the pre-installed version.

9. Dannemand

Reputations:
    You need to disable SecureBoot when you install a new OS, otherwise you cannot boot your install media. You may have to also set OS Mode Selection=UEFI & CSM OS depending on the media. But once the new Win8 installation is finished and running (assuming you installed it in UEFI mode onto a GPT disk, and all installed drivers are certified) I believe you should be able to switch OS Mode Selection back to UEFI OS and enable SecureBoot.

10. Ax3

Ax3 Newbie

Reputations:
    So I think I've broken my laptop by this guide.

I followed all the steps, windows install was OK, but after restart it didn't boot up. Just black screen. I tried to boot up from Windows in USB, but in drive selection it didn't find any hard drive... I also checked "diskpart" utility and there was no hard drive. Please help me :(

Model: NP940X3G

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.