TUTORIAL: How to reformat and do a clean install of Windows 8 on Samsung Series 9 laptops

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by lzrsfa, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hello DutchieP, welcome to NBR.

As I am sure you already gathered, F4 won't boot Recovery if your Recovery partitions are gone. And as go45cvi indicated, the only way to get them back would be if you had a bootable Factory Image backup on a USB stick from your own or exactly the same model as yours.

Of course you can backup your current Windows installation and use that as baseline, but if you want a fresh start, you need Win8 install media. Samsung doesn't provide those for Win8 PCs and Microsoft isn't making them publicly available.

The links below are some posts that cover various legal sources of ISOs downloads. We don't discuss "alternative" sources on the forum.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...y-bridge-np900x3e-np900x3f-3.html#post9323404
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/706510-samsung-laptops-bricked-using-uefi-9.html#post9287299
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...780z5e-np870z5e-np880z5e-205.html#post9312619

I think, as go45cvi said, you should try to obtain proper Win8 install media from the seller. You bought a laptop which includes a Win8 license, and he/she wiped the installation source that came with it (the Recovery partitions).

2. DutchieP

DutchieP Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply! That's exactly right. I too assumed it would be near impossible. Also, the chance of finding someone with this exact model laptop will definitely be difficult. For some reason windows is not giving me a chance to make a recovery flash drive. It tells me the amount of space needed and then hangs every time it starts making the drive. A fresh install might be my best bet at this point.

3. DutchieP

DutchieP Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the welcome and the reply! I have a buddy who does have a very legal version of the MSDN Win 8 ISO (he has a MSDN account). I will shoot him a message to see if he'll share. I do think a fresh start is the way to go at this point. That way I can hopefully resolve the fact that I cant even make a Microsoft version of the recovery drive. Now I'm pretty sure I'm right in the fact that regardless of whether or not the previous owner wiped the installation source, the key remains embedded in the BIOS... or am I way off?

Thanks for the links. If I can't get in touch with my buddy, I will give some of these a shot.

4. Dannemand

Reputations:
    That's the way to go, you're in good shape there. The first post I linked has the download from MSDN -- assuming you have a login. And yes, your product Key is in the BIOS and should be picked up when you install Windows anew. Just make sure you get the same version (Pro vs non-Pro).

5. aliennumberseven

aliennumberseven Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As far as I know, there are two recovery partitions in NP9004xC. On is of 500 MB and other is slightly bigger than 21 GB. Backup copy of widows 8 (core) sits on one partition whereas Samsung recovery software sits on 500 MB's partition. I deleted windows backup partition to claim 21 GB but Samsung recovery partition of 500 MB remains intact. When I press repeatedly F4 during boot up process, my machine takes me to Samsung recovery option and gives me option to either restore or make a backup.
    But I do understand that different models of Samsung comes with different options.

6. Dannemand

Reputations:
    That is correct, Samsung laptops delivered with Win8 use Samsung Recovery Solution 6 which splits Recovery in two partitions: SAMSUNG_REC (Recovery Software) which is normally 1GB, and SAMSUNG_REC2 (Recovery Data) which is 20-28GB depending on model. The Recovery Data partition contains the Factory Image (about 15-16GB on most models) as well as SystemSoftware (Samsung drivers and utilities, which can be backed up separately, or just downloaded with SW Update).

You make a good point that even after deleting SAMSUNG_REC2 (Recovery Data) you can still boot Recovery, since the F4 link points to SAMSUNG_REC (Recovery Software). So users looking to save space on an SSD can delete SAMSUNG_REC2 after backing up the Factory Image, without losing their F4 link.

I still think the bootable Factory Image backup on a USB stick is by far the best option, since it allows you to run Recovery directly from that USB stick and completely re-image any SSD/HDD.

Note that none of this applies to Win7-delivered models which use the older SRS5 (and SRS4 before that). These versions keep both Recovery Software, SystemSoftware and Factory Image (called Initial Image in previous SRS versions) on a single Recovery Partition (SAMSUNG_REC). Also, they don't have the bootable Factory Image backup feature.

If you want to play further with Recovery features, you can check Management Mode mode which allows you to create a USB Admin Tool with features to create and repair Recovery partitions and a few other goodies. The links below contain further Recovery info:

General Recovery backup/restore info and explanation of SRS5 & 6
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...red-recovery-partition-samsung-notebooks.html

Why imaging tools destroy F4
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...p780z5e-np870z5e-np880z5e-60.html#post9190186

SRS5 / USB Admin Tool Backup and Recovery
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...00z5-series-owners-lounge-73.html#post8907246

File & folder contents backup of Recovery partitions
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...00z5-series-owners-lounge-88.html#post9155057

Adding Recovery to Windows Boot Menu
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...00z5-series-owners-lounge-89.html#post9156546

Booting Recovery from external disk
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/718205-testing-all-you-windows-8-geeks.html#post9194692

7. urgiv

urgiv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all

I trying install back WIN 8 to mine new NP530U4C-S03 but no suucess

I downloaded right iso win8 with SHA1-1CE53AD5F60419CF04A715CF3233F247E48BEEC4

Untitled.png

but when I put disk to dvd all time give me a message than Key is INCORECT

Any idea which SHA1 shoult to be for WIN8 NP530U4C-S03

box saying WIN8 64 bit

any help welcome

8. Dannemand

Reputations:
    @urgiv: The version of Win8 you downloaded (Pro vs Non-pro) must match the one that came with your PC in order to pick up the Product Key in your BIOS. Maybe it also has to be same language.

If that is not the problem, I would contract Microsoft in this situation.

9. urgiv

Reputations:
    yes I will try another downloads due to when I try install shoving win 8 pro but shut to be win 8 64 bit only

but definitely I will going through want the time

update: I wondering is Turkish version than probably I need enterprise version due language pack

will see

10. urgiv

Reputations:
    update:

After some research I been able install win 8 by official stored key in BIOS

all looks fine but some small problem with activation
    this error appears any help?

Error message 1
    Windows could not be activated.
    Key management services (KMS) host could not be located in domain name system (DNS), please have your system adminstrator verify that a KMS is published correctly in DNS.
    Error: 0x8007232b
    Description:
    DNS name does not exist.

another Q?

I think BIOS shut be still ''Secure Boot disabled and CSM OS'' anf Fast boot - I am right?