TUTORIAL: How to reformat and do a clean install of Windows 8 on Samsung Series 9 laptops

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by lzrsfa, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lzrsfa

lzrsfa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Note from Samsung moderator: Please read this post later in the thread before proceeding with the tutorial. Also, please study the entire thread for relevant discussion.

This tutorial explains how to do a clean install of Windows 8 and remove the recovery partition, which will leave ~100GB free on a 128GB SSD (compared to ~66GB free out of the box.) I did these steps on a NP900X4D-A05US but they should work on any new Samsung laptop with Windows 8. You will need a 4GB+ USB flash drive for this procedure.

Before doing this, make a backup of your recovery partition (connect an external hard drive, open Recovery by searching for "recovery" in Metro, and select the backup option.)

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Download a Windows 8 ISO file that corresponds to your machine's OEM version. Microsoft has a list of every Windows 8 ISO here (you can only download from this link if you are an MSDN TechNet subscriber, but that page includes SHA1 hashes for every ISO which makes it easy to confirm yours is genuine, in case you obtain it legally elsewhere.) For example if your machine came with Windows 8 (x64) (English), you will need to download en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso. As long as you choose the correct version, Windows will activate automatically and you will not be asked to enter a product key during installation as Windows 8 product keys are now embedded on the motherboard.
    2. Verify that your ISO downloaded properly and is genuine using the MD5 & SHA-1 Checksum Utility.
    3. Download and install the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool (it says Windows 7, but works just fine for Windows 8.) Connect your USB flash drive and follow the instructions to transfer the ISO to your flash drive.
    4. Update the BIOS to the most recent version using SW Update. If for some reason you don't have SW Update, you can download it here.
    5. Shut down the computer and reboot into the BIOS by pressing F2 repeatedly immediately after pressing the Power button. Under the "Advanced" tab, set Fast BIOS Mode to Disabled. Under the "Boot" tab, set Secure Boot to Disabled, then OS Mode Selection to CSM OS. Then select "Boot Device Priority" and move USB HDD to the top. Hit F10 to save and exit.
    6. The computer should restart and boot from your USB drive into the Windows installation. Go through the prompts and choose the custom installation option and when it asks where you want to install Windows, click "Drive options (advanced)" and delete every partition until you have one big unallocated space (~117GB on a 128GB SSD.) Proceed with the installation.
    7. The installation will go through five steps and then restart; remove the USB flash drive during the 10 second restart prompt. If you don't do this, you will end up at the initial installation prompt again...in which case just close the prompt, remove the flash drive, and restart from there. The installation will continue normally.
    8. Once the installation is finished and you've configured all your initial settings, install SW Update and update your drivers. Most items can be left unchecked; the only ones I installed were the Touchpad, Chipset, Intel Rapid Storage Technology, Graphics, Settings, and Display Color Profile...but you may want to install more or less depending on your particular configuration.
    9. After SW Settings has installed all the driver updates, reboot into the BIOS and set Fast BIOS Mode back to Enabled (but keep Secure Boot disabled and the OS Mode as CSM OS) and you're done!

sup4mn likes this.
  2. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good work. It's probably wise to backup the recovery partition and maybe worthwhile to keep the 1GB F4, though you can rebuild these with some effort (I don't remember the link).
    Another option is using W8's native "reset" option which will return the computer to a near fresh install state with only software update installed. You can then delete the recovery partition in diskpart.
    Details here:http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/683577-samsung-series-9-windows-8-a-35.html#post9030362

3. Merih

Merih Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks so much for this! My laptop is arriving today, will be doing this tonight.

One question in Step 5...does the USB drive that stores the ISO file have to be completely empty other than the ISO file? I have a big Western Digital My Passport that I'm thinking of using but it has alot of other files on it from my previous computer.

4. lzrsfa

lzrsfa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes and no. When you use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to transfer the ISO to the drive, it automatically formats everything on the drive. What you can do is create a separate 4GB partition on your external HD. That way the tool will essentially read the partition as a separate drive so you can put the ISO on that partition.

Here's a tutorial:

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Very useful and added to the sticky list.

John

6. El Penetrator

El Penetrator Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Nice tutorial. Would the same steps apply for doing a clean install of Windows 7?

7. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's a little different with Win7. For one thing its ISO is readily downloadable from Digital River.

Second, if installing Win7 from USB onto Samsung Series 7 and Series 5 models, Win7 Setup tends to confuse the ExpressCache (iSSD) with the boot drive (which it cannot be) causing a failure to boot after files have been copied.

The simplest solution is to install from DVD instead of USB. If you MUST (or insist on) installing from USB, follow one of the procedures described in hanime's USB Install Thread.

8. El Penetrator

El Penetrator Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just wanted to say thanks to the OP and to Dannemand for their instructions in this and the other thread. I managed to install Windows 7 Ultimate from a USB stick following the tutorial, struggled for a while because I stupidly forgot to set the OS selection mode to CSM OS so I couldn't boot from USB until I changed it :p
    Had to reinstall the wireless driver manually but all the others were a breeze with SWUpdate.

So many improvements with Windows 7, you'd think it came out years after Windows 8.. I finally have a usable laptop!

- Cleartype can be applied everywhere, no more eye bleeds when using Office 2013
    - Aero is back, looks gorgeous on the Series 9 screen vs. that abomination of plain colors on win8
    - VPN has the option to redial if line is dropped, no idea why they took it out in windows 8
    - WIFI reception is much better on windows 7! It used to drop a lot in windows 8 when changing rooms, now it's rock solid.
    - No more metro interface, although I had bypassed it with 'classic start menu' it's nice to know it's gone forever

I understand MS's strategy of wanting to unify all their platforms under the same OS, but dumbing down windows 8 on notebooks is not the way to go. I'm sure windows 9 will come out in less than a year (the same way win7 rescued us from Vista) with all these issues addressed.

/rant

NB: Apologies for going off topic, just suffered a lot and had to get it off my chest :eek:

9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    LOL happens all the time :D Win8 is certainly generating a lot of heated discussion. Don't know if it's the kind if passion Microsoft had hoped for.

Thank you for the update. Good job getting it all working.

I personally went the other way recently: I have been very critical of Win8 ever since trying the Consumer Preview last summer, and only installed it a few weeks ago -- mostly to be able to answer question on this forum. However, after installing IObit Start Menu 8 I've now made it my primary. And I have to admit it runs VERY smoothly on my PC. I still think it would be far better without the Modern Metro Mess (it's fine for tablets), but the rest of it works great for me.

And for some odd reason, my WiFi is actually a a bit better on Win8. It was never bad to begin with, though.

Once again, good job getting it all running.

10. nikolauspetro

nikolauspetro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there any walk through that I've overlooked in doing a fresh install of Windows 7 on the new a new Samsung Series 9? I have made both a bootable USB as well a bootable DVD of Windows 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.