[Tutorial] How to install/remove AMD and NVIDIA drivers using a clean method

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Kingpinzero, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Kingpinzero

Kingpinzero ROUND ONE,FIGHT! You Win!

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    since "dirt" driver installation/update seems to be the first cause of problems, crashes, unwanted issues and so on AND since its tiring writing everytime a guide to help peoples out to "clean" install newer drivers, i thought it would be cool to have a guide for it.
    In this little guide ill show how to perform a clean installation/update of Nvidia Drivers and related components.
    Hope it helps.

NEEDED TOOLS:
    1 - Driver Sweeper available here: Phyxion.net - Driver Sweeper
    2 - Nvidia drivers WHQL or Beta here: World's Fastest Graphics Cards, GPUs, and Video Cards | GeForce
    3 - AMD Drivers and CAP profiles if you're using an AMD card
    Cap profiles here: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx
    AMD Drivers here: Downloads
    AMD Leaked drivers (asder00's twitter account) here: asder00 (@asder00) on Twitter

*** For those with unsupported cards****

How to insert the modded inf for your drivers:
    *Go to Laptopvideo2go and get a modded inf: Drivers | drivers for mobile cards and laptops | laptopvideo2go.com
    * Click on the driver and OS you want to use.
    * Next page, click on "Click here to download driver and INF files"
    * Next page, click on "Click here to download the modified INF file." and Save it somewhere accessible (Desktop as an example). File will have ".inf" extension and it can be named NVAM,NVWI or NV_DISP.INF.
    * You can download the driver as well by clicking on "Click here to download the requested driver."
    * Extract the driver by double clicking on it or with Winrar->Right Click->Extract to FILE_NAME
    * Go into the just extracted driver folder, go into "Display.Driver" folder
    * Copy and Paste here the precedent modified INF file that we just downloaded above and OVERWRITE if it asks so. If it doesnt, check your steps, because it has to.

STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE:

***/!\/!\/!\WARNING: BEFORE PERFORMING THIS CLEAN METHOD, YOU NEED TO DEACTIVATE THOSE EA GAMES (Origin) THAT USES AN ACTIVATION PROCESS SUCH CRYSIS 2, NEED FOR SPEED SHIFT ETC. Otherwise doing it more times in the future WILL make you RUN OUT of activations, and you will need to contact EA support./!\/!\/!\***

1. Download Driver Sweeper and Install it.

2. Go to Control Panel/Program and Featues and UNISTALL NVIDIA UPDATE AND THE NVIDIA DRIVER. It will ask for a reboot. DO IT.
    -> AMD USERS: Go to Control Panel and remove AMD Application Profiles first (if you have them installed, otherwise don't bother) then the AMD Drivers package. It asks for reboot.

3. When Rebooting, just after the bios post HIT F8 A FEW TIMES until you see this screen:
    [​IMG]

4. When Windows boot to Safe Mode Desktop, launch Driver Sweeper and do this (each step is numerated):
    [​IMG]

-> NOTE TO AMD USERS! Select only AMD option (first one on top) instead of Nvidia options!

5. It will ask for a reboot. Do it and let Windows load normally until you reach the desktop.

6. Windows should INSTALL a STANDARD VGA ADAPTER. It can/cannot display with a notification box the installation of it. Under Control Panel->System->Manage Devices you can check your video card.

7. Now launch NVIDIA SETUP and do like this:
    [​IMG]

8. Then in the next screen:
    [​IMG]

NOTE: if youre installing a BETA/Modded inf, a Driver Sign not found/Verified warning should come up. Ignore it and let it install by clicking bottom option.

9. Setup should ask for a reboot. Do it. When Windows will load up again, your driver should be correctly installed like you just installed it on a fresh windows installation.

AMD USERS: Once rebooted into windows, launch AMD Drivers Setup. Select next and select customize installation, you will see a window like this:
    [​IMG]

1. First option should be AMD Application Profiles (if your drivers comes with it) - you can leave this enabled if you're sure they're update, otherwise deselect it and proceed with driver instlallation.
    Once driver installation finishes, reboot your system.

2. When Windows has rebooted, check if Catalyst Control Center is working by right clicking a desktop area and selecting the appropriate option.
    If everything went smooth, you can A) either update AMD CAPs if you deselected them or leave it as it is.

3. IMPORTANT NOTICE: AMD Application Profiles (CAPs) are highly adviced even for Single GPU users, as they contain game single profiles much like Nvidia has, they may contain special game fixes or hotfixes for a particular game. Its not only useful for Xfire users, but also for single gpu users.

ADDITIONAL TWEAKS POST INSTALLATION WINDOWS:
    1. Grab Unpark Cores Utility from here and launch it.
    2. Follow the guide (credits to the main website for instructions and pictures, located here):.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    3. Select "Unpark All".
    4. Once done, reboot your system. Core parking is disabled now allowing cpu to use full potential.

ADDITIONAL TWEAKS POST INSTALLATION (NVIDIA):

1. Right click on desktop and select NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL.
    2. Select Manage 3d Settings.
    3. Highlight Display Mode and switch to Single Display Mode (should be Multiple Displays)
    4. Scroll down to Power Management and switch it to Prefer Maximum Performance (should be Adaptive).
    5. There are no downsides about power management, your card will keep downclocking in idle, so dont worry. But i can make a huge difference in games.

ADDITIONAL TWEAKS POST INSTALLATION (AMD):
    1. Grab ULPS Configuration Utility 1.1.4 from here.
    2. Launch the program and make 1) backup of ULPS key and 2) disable/delete ULPS keys.
    3. Once done, reboot your system. ULPS is the low power state that AMD features but it's known to have some serious side effects with single and xfire systems. It may help performance problems. Don't worry your card will still downclock just fine.

FAQ:

- This guide is nonsense! Perform Clean Installation option in Nvidia Setup does the same things!
    - Obviously you dont read release notes nor nvidia new gui installation guide. The "Perform Clean Installation" option removes ONLY Nvidia Control Panel and Game Specific profiles, NOTHING ELSE. That means that your old driver components are still in the system, which is a bad thing.

- I have a BETA/DEV driver that comes without Physx as an options in the setup. How can i fix this?
    - You can grab any previous driver you have stored, extract it and move the Physx folder in the new driver folder root (once extracted) to add the entry in the setup. Or just install the driver without physx, then install it separately from any other driver package. Same goes for 3D related items.

-- EOF--

If this guide helps and you like it, please +Rep. Thanks :)

2. FlyingFalcon

FlyingFalcon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When I pasted the modified inf file, it dint ask me whether i should overwrite it. What went wrong? I had followed your steps to the T.

3. FlyingFalcon

Reputations:
    So I rename it to nv_disp and overwrote the original one. It starts installing an after it says installing graphics driver, it says a restart is required after which it will continue with the installation. But after restarting and continuing, the install fails. Log shows that driver installation failed and the rest of it doesn't get installed. I'm at my wits end now. HELP!!!!!

4. Kingpinzero

Reputations:
    You probably downloaded the wrong driver/inf file.
    Download 285.27 beta and from the same page download also the inf.
    Try to copy the downloaded inf in Display.Driver folder.
    If it doesn't ask to overwrite, start from scratch again.
    Re extract the driver but rename the inf file to nvam.inf and see if it works.

5. FlyingFalcon

Reputations:
    Yup. I downloaded the desktop version (141MB) and not the notebook version (191MB). God I'm so stupid. Downloading the notebook version now.
    Thank you Kingpinzero.

6. FlyingFalcon

Reputations:
    Downloaded the correct (read notebook) driver. Installed it. The modified inf file was not needed. Will test using Crysis after some time. Thank you so much for your help.

7. Kingpinzero

Reputations:
    No problem mate, glad you fixed it :)

8. lvldeath

lvldeath Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks!!
    it actually fixed the crushes and lockups in Fallout new vegas!!
    +1 rep

9. Kingpinzero

Reputations:
    You're welcome mate :)

10. JayBGamer

JayBGamer Notebook Geek

Reputations: