Tuning the Aero 15-w/x/v7/v8 - Common problems & solutions

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by margroloc, Apr 27, 2018.

1. jamesdoughnut85

jamesdoughnut85 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your hard work in compiling and updating this guide!

Gotten my FHD 15x v8 last week. Studying this guide to have a good image of how to optimize performance.

Some queries to clarify:
    1. Am considering getting a dual memory G.Skills Ripjaws (32GB) 16GB x 2, 2666mhz from newegg (since they are having a sale), but had read about the second memory card slot not functioning well. Not sure if it is still advisable.
    2. Had purchased 2 sticks of M.2 Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, so i'll probably have to do a fresh install anyway. Would it make sense to do a RAID 0 configuration to maximise the performance?
    3. Am considering swapping out the wifi card for an Intel 9260. Is a specific model to use (NGW or NGFF?)

2. g85222456

g85222456 Company Representative

Reputations:
    1. RAID 0 is not officially supported on AERO and the truth is the performance delta of RAID on PCIe SSD is quite limited
    2. I guess this is what you need - the naming rule of Intel wifi:
    upload_2018-9-20_15-8-31.png

3. jamesdoughnut85

jamesdoughnut85 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks g85222456 for clarifying.

Noted on the RAID 0 configuration.

With regards to Intel 9260 wifi card, what should I look out for in the description or specification when browsing for compatibility to Aero 15x v8 please?

4. g85222456

Reputations:
    actually we haven't tested 9260 on AERO before - so we cannot guarantee 100% compatible
    however if you really want to do so, just check if the form factor of the wifi card is M.2 2230

5. jamesdoughnut85

jamesdoughnut85 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot g85222456 for your kind and prompt assistance!

6. Septemous

Septemous Newbie

Reputations:
    Question ...

How can you tell if you are being throttled vs. are actually overloading your system??

7. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Use throttlestop and check on limits, or you can also use xtu/hwinfo and they will show when you are throttled either by power/prochot/temp.

8. Ross36

Ross36 Newbie

Reputations:
    Very keen to find out what the memory you found to work is. I did the exact thing you did with the gskill not working and need to find a 16gb ram stick to partner with the v-color one. Could you let me know the model number and where you ordered it from please - I'm in Australia to.

Turns>Airs likes this.
  9. redq

redq Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone,
    I have been using the first Aero 15X (7700HQ with 1070) with no great problems until last week.

After some Windows Update last week I have big battery woes.
    After waking up from sleep, CPU Package Power is stuck at 12 Watts when idle that leads to my battery draining in 2-3 hours.
    It is fine after restarting, back to normal power usage rate which is 1W maximum when idle.
    I guess this is not a Gigabyte bug but rather Intel/Windows bug because I noticed people complaining in Razer, Dell etc. forums too.

Is there a solution to this or do I have to live with not being able to use sleep?

10. g85222456

Reputations:
    for Windows Update we will never know what they're actually doing so maybe try to roll-back to default state