Tuning the Aero 15-w/x/v7/v8 - Common problems & solutions

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by margroloc, Apr 27, 2018.

1. g85222456

g85222456 Company Representative

Reputations:
    you could try pasting thermal pad on the SSD.... it could play the role as conductor between D cover and the SSD controller

2. g85222456

Reputations:
    maybe try performing the F9 recovery to roll back your AERO to default state

3. lmingll88

lmingll88 Newbie

Reputations:
    I also have a dead USB-A (left hand side). USB C/thunderbolt works ok.
    Do you suggest I also do a default system restore?
    My concern is I just end up with the same result after Windows updates, etc.

Is there any way to find out if this is a physical problem with the port?

4. xDjinn

xDjinn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The new smart manager update is decent if you don't enable (do not disturb).

For example:
    • if you try to increase brightness there's no ui with do not disturb disabled
    • if you increase brightness with do not disturb enabled the ugly obtrusive UI appears while you increase brightness

5. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got problem with MSI afterburner keep polling the dGPU, is there anyway to undervolt the GPU without using Afterburner? or does the voltage curve setting is stored even without running Afterburner on startup?

6. cuiv

cuiv Newbie

Reputations:
    This thread has been a gold mine of information, and thank you so much for keeping it up to date!

If I may add something: for me, launching the task manager on my Aero 15 v7 simply killed the computer for a long, long time, especially if I had the power saver setting on - the mouse itself became unresponsive/extremely sluggish, and I couldn't figure out why. This was my biggest problem with the computer: there were times this slowed down the computer for such an extent I was forced to turn it off with a long power button press. Thanks to this Reddit thread I finally found the solution: this was fixed by disabling the callGigabytefusionshortcutService in the startup applications. Yep, that easy, and it really helps a lot. I would suggest adding it to the top, as I apparently wasn't the only one affected by this issue!

Benjammin2jah and margroloc like this.
  7. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    All of the usb-A ports on my aero are working.

thanks thread updated

I think the nvidia drivers have tried to fix the polling issue several times. Yes, you can undervolt without afterburner but it's complicated. you need to use some 3rd party tools, scripts, and edit csv files to do the manual voltage curve - I hint at this technique in the OP post but I think it would be easier for you to just apply the undervolt via afterburner then close it, less hassle. AB doesn't have to be running for the undervolt to stick afaik.

8. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does the volt curve stick after restart? Or should I run it first then turn it off? I think it is possible to create a task to do that using task scheduler.

On subject of usb port, the troubled port only affect some of my external drive so I think it is hard to pin point why it doesn't work. I will try to experiment with usb hubs, see if it changes something.

9. g85222456

Reputations:
    If that so I would suggest you send the unit back to call center for further check

10. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The voltage curves clear after restarts, if you are using afterburner to apply the undervolt you can save the voltage curve to a profile and hit the 'apply on startup' button. You could then close out manually or make a bat file that does it