Tuning the Aero 15-w/x/v7/v8 - Common problems & solutions

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by margroloc, Apr 27, 2018.

1. TLCH723

TLCH723 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Using the smart manager and change the profile to high performance, fan speed other than quiet

2. xDjinn

xDjinn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is the FB07 bios firmware stable? Also which Nvidia driver would you recommend?

3. ReignsOfPower

ReignsOfPower Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, thought I'd post here to confirm a few things as I'm slowly getting accustomed to this laptop. Bought in Australia.
    I am running FB07 BIOS and the latest drivers across the board. If there were newer drivers directly from Intel, Nvidia or other OEM's, I have downloaded and installed those.

I'd like to confirm the following:
    - RAM
    Laptop came with V-Color TN416G26D819-SB - this is a big let down for me as there are no retailers in the country or online that can offer me an identical stick. Further to this, all the online reviews showed G.Skill Ripjaws. First I bought a single 2666Mhz G.Skill stick which I sent back and I dont want to mix and match RAM brands. Further to this, I went out and purchased a Dual SODIMM kit. Slightly lower speed and tighter latency. The computer failed to post all with two sticks (went into an infinite boot loop) and required some creativity to get the RAM out between boot loops.

This is the kit I bought. Absolutely no boot (even with F2) with two sticks. It would boot with a single stick (on both slots), but would take a very long time then BSOD immediately after signing into windows. https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2400c16d-32grs
    What I think it happening is the Laptop is trying to run the RAM at 2666Mhz but I cant be sure. Surely JEDEC profiles would apply here, but clearly the RAM is not supported. Moving to FB07 BIOS didn't fix anything. An option might be to try F4-2666C18D-32GRS Ripjaw's but they are hard to find for an Aussie.

- Screen
    Unfortunately not a LG pannel. I have the AU Optronics AUO82ED. Seems to be a fine pannel, but would have preferred the LG IPS pannel as reviewed on multiple websites and YouTube channels.

- NVMe Drive
    Again another bait and switch. I have a Thoshiba NVMe drive. A far cry from the Cruicial SSD that again, many reviews have shown.

- Additional NVMe drive
    I have on order a Samsung 970 Evo 1TB. I don't expect this to have any issues when installed. If I do, I will post back. The additional drive slot does come with a pre-installed screw that can be used to secure the drive (yay).

- Keyboard
    My U key likes to stick very slightly if I hit it with enough force. Otherwise, the keyboard seems really good. Hopefully with enough use the U key will loosen up slightly (typing this I feel like it already has)

- Undervolting
    Works a charm using Intel XTU but I am sometimes losing the settings. Might have to resort to the alternative program that people are recommending in this thread.

- Audio
    Sucks. My phone Pixel 2 XL sounds better. I may have to try the tweaks listed here to gain more low range. Alternatively, I'll just hook the laptop up to some bookshelf speakers for the best experience.

- Mouse sticking - Optimus known issue
    I followed this guide. I sometimes notice it still. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...4a-62b1-4211-8e37-4c136608865e?auth=1&page=37
    Noticed there's a 'WakeGPU' utility on Gigabytes website. I haven't tried it myself but it may be worth a try ( a few links on reddit might dictate that its better to avoid) https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Laptop/AERO-15X--i7-8750H#support-dl-utility

Side note on support:
    I have been working with Gigabyte support in order to resolve my RAM issue. So far, the resolution of this case is slow and not really getting anywhere. As a consumer, I am suffering as there is no upgrade path for RAM (I need 32GB for virtualisation and would like a Dual Channel memory configuration)

Message to gigabyte:
    Get your RAM support improved through a BIOS update.
    Stop baiting and switching.
    Stop making me wait 3-7 business days each time I reply to a support ticket.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    margroloc likes this.
  4. TLCH723

Reputations:
    Did you read my post about RAM before buying? I got the same RAM and it doesnt work. It only works with one stick in the slot near CPU. Is just doesnt work with the other slot. I think is just a firmware/BIOS issue for the second slot (the slot near battery)

5. ReignsOfPower

ReignsOfPower Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got the stock ram to boot and run properly from the battery slot in single stick mode.

This is a clear RAM compatibility issue that needs to be addressed with a BIOS firmware update.

6. TLCH723

Reputations:
    Here is the post I am talking about

7. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Also going to echo the response above, if you have opened smart manager and the fan profile is set to 'quiet' then the CPU will get limited to around 2.6GHz after a while of any load.
    Throttlestop shows the limit reason is 'EC throttling'. If the fans are set to anything besides 'quiet' (eg custom on the lowest fan setting) then the EC throttling will go away and you are just thermal (or power) limited instead.

8. jcten

jcten Newbie

Reputations:
    Do you guys really recommend a fresh windows install? I've already ordered my aero 15x v8 and im pretty scare to mess it up with the drivers installations, losing features like color calibration or smart manager.

9. TLCH723

Reputations:
    You can download smart manager from gigabyte website and the color calibration with smart update

xDjinn likes this.
  10. bwanaaa

bwanaaa Newbie

Reputations:
    4 questions:
    1) if I installed the windows precision drivers but then smart update said there is a 'new' touchpad driver, do i ignore that? or does windows update take care of updating the precision driver?

2) intel xtu has a core voltage and a core voltage offset. when say they undervolt the cpu by .15v are they just changing the offset and leaving the voltage setting at default (=adaptive) or do they specify a voltage?

3) intel xtu can also change cache voltage offset. is this supposed to be left alone or set to match core voltage offset?

4) intel xtu can change gpu voltage and gpu voltage offset.. since this is only for the intel graphics, is it worth touching? or should i leave it alone and just use msi afterburner to undervolt the gpu?