Tuning the Aero 15-w/x/v7/v8 - Common problems & solutions

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by margroloc, Apr 27, 2018.

1. HermannnTheGerman

HermannnTheGerman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I suggest to add the following information to the front page:

a) Windows Feature Update Breaks Built-in Recovery Function
    After each Windows feature update (e.g., 1709 -> 1803), the "F9" Smart Recovery function stops working. To repair this function, one needs to run the Smart Recovery Fix Tool available from Aero 15's support page. Link.

b) Precision Touchpad Drivers
    Gigabyte does not ship precision touchpad drivers for the AERO 15 although the hardware would support them. To make Windows register the touchpad as a precision touchpad, one has to install 3rd party drivers. Instructions.:
    http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds120858

You will want to extract them to a folder. Then open "Device Manager", Right Click the Elan Touchpad, Update Driver, Browse My Computer, Let Me Pick, Have Disk, Browse to where you extracted the driver, use "ETD.inf"

When you are done, it will say: "Elan Input Device for WDF
    "​

c)
    Regarding the mouse stuttering and micro hangs, this seems to be a widespread issue, see here.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  2. ovidiuc4

ovidiuc4 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I have the 15w model.

Do you happen to have some reference post(s) for this issue and possible fix?

I tried changing the power plans/fan speeds but the behavior is the same, 12W+ at idle. I get very low battery life , around 4 hours. It does not happen if 3D acceleration is off from BIOS. The optimus settings have Integrated as preferred and no programs are shown to be using the Nvidia GPU. I initially thought the dedicated GPU is eating power, but I saw your post afterwards and after some investigation, it turns out that the CPU is.

Thanks

3. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You're right, I blamed the GPU because of the 3d acceleration stuff, but it does seem to be the CPU.
    My CPU idles at ~12W, even after I uninstalled smart manager (assuming that it was causing problems).

4. Aahi

Aahi Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Guys,

My Smart Manager was broken for quite a while and I finally figured out what was messing it up. I had "app access to diagnostics information disabled" and a lot of the app access for components (camera, etc...) disabled in O&OShutup 10 and it was keeping me from launching the utility. I believe it needs access to all those things before even launching.

Hope this helps someone else.

Edit: also make sure your gigabyte fusion autorun is not disabled

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  5. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I also have most of the stuff in O&O toggled and smart manager is still working.
    There are probably a lot of causes it not working
    https://s15.postimg.cc/6lc5o5ztn/screenshot_5.png

The 12W bug I think is actually more of an nvidia driver problem, it's just incidental that the gigabyte software can trigger it.

I couldn't find a reference post for you but as an example my CPU can idle fine: https://s15.postimg.cc/bwr2951ej/screenshot_6.png
    But the other day I installed the final version of geforce experience v2 (2.11 or something) on top of recent drivers and tried some game demos. After I closed them the nvidia GPU wouldn't turn off. I checked the GPU activity and CPU package usage and when the GPU was 'idle' (not off) the CPU package power was also 12W+. Only when the GPU turned off briefly did the CPU power drop to normal idle as well. Very strange, and even running 'NvOptimusTestViewer64' or 'NvGPUStateViewer64' seems to trigger this problem.

hmscott likes this.
  6. HussainQ

Reputations:
    Is that the icon in the system tray that shows the activity of the GPU?

hmscott likes this.
  7. ovidiuc4

ovidiuc4 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I've finally found out what was doing all that battery draining. I had DisplayCAL profile loader running (open source software for display calibration) and now, after I've removed it, the battery consumption is back to normal values (<10W at idle).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  8. HussainQ

Reputations:
    How did you tell what was using power?

hmscott likes this.
  9. ovidiuc4

ovidiuc4 Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh I was just testing removing tray icons. After killing DisplayCAL, overall power consumption went down (using BatteryBar to check it). Started it again, power consumption went back up to 18-20W. Did that a couple of times and reached my conclusion.

It's a test I've done in the past (i.e. removing DisplayCAL from the tray) but turns out I had to wait for a bit to see the effects in power consumption, as they weren't as immediate as I was assuming.

There's probably a setting in DisplayCAL somewhere to use fewer resources, but I wasn't even using it, so I've just uninstalled the whole program.

hmscott likes this.