Tuning the Aero 15-w/x/v7/v8 - Common problems & solutions

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by margroloc, Apr 27, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I was trying to run tighter timings with the ram at 2666MHz. I haven't tried anything lately since I haven't had time.

2. dlinfiniti

dlinfiniti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    were you trying to manipulate the speeds individually or were you able to run a custom xmp profile?

3. Shackles

Shackles Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a weird problem with my Aero 15x/v8: Whenever I connect a USB hub to it and attach any number of devices to that, my screen freezes (including mouse movement, keyboard input and everything else) for a second every few seconds.

When I plug the devices directly into the laptop, everything is fine. I tried several USB hubs with and without external power supplies but the problem remains. I also tried different mice but this doesn't help either.

I have throttled down my CPU according to this thread and I also tried running the CPU in 99% and 100% max performance (in Windows 10 power settings).
    Is this a known problem and is there any solution for this?

4. fackamato

fackamato Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you mean the mouse pointer freezes every now and then, or the entire display? For me, when there's heavy disk usage on a USB drive via a USB hub, the mouse freezes every other second or so, super annoying.

5. Shackles

Shackles Newbie

Reputations:
    Everything freezes. In games, there is no movement at all for a second or so and in Windows, even the mouse cursor doesn't move. Keyboard input is also stopped - it's basically like a freeze crash but then it recovers after a second. I had no drives connected to the USB hub. I tried it with any combination of mouse, keyboard and/or USB sound card and the problem occurs every time.

6. Pedey67

Pedey67 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

Just got my Aero 15 Classic SA (9750h, 1660ti) a few days ago, and I'm still trying to get my head around a few things - wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

My biggest issue at the moment is the fan management systems, particularly at idle/just doing very basic browsing. The fans are constantly ramping up and down like a jet fighter - not to maximum, but going from silent for 30 seconds, then ramping up to 30%, then higher, then back down again. I've tried using the Gigabyte control centre to mess around with the fan settings, and although "quiet mode" does indeed make it quiet, it's only for 30 seconds, then the fans ramp, as above. All the drivers are up to date and I've tried disabling Azure AI, doing a clean install of windows, undervolting but nothing helps.

Obviously it's a tight chassis and I'm totally fine with the fans firing up when I'm actually using the CPU/GPU heavily, but at very low loads? Not that cool. My previous machine from a different manufacturer was smaller and thinner again, with a GPU and i9, so I know it's not just a sacrifice I have to live with.

At this point I'm looking at returning this laptop - there's no way I can just live with this noise, and certainly could never take it anywhere public, or to meetings etc - which is why I went for this machine and it's fairly stealth looks/form factor in the first place.

Is there anything else you could suggest I try? Things I could check? What are my next steps to making this a more pleasant machine when browsing etc.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you!

7. Shackles

Shackles Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the exact same problem like many others with my Aero 15x/w and here is what fixed it for me:
    • In Windows, go to Power Options. "Change Plan Settings" for your currently active power plan (for me it's always SmartManager High Performance). Go to "Change advanced power settings". Expand "Processor Power Management" - "Maximum Processor State". Set "On battery" and "Plugged in" to 99% as seen below. If I now switch to Quite mode in Control Centre, it actually stays quiet. I can't notice the difference in performance - even in games. If you do play very performance intensive games, you might want to switch that back and use Gaming instead of Quiet mode.
    [​IMG]
    • use ThrottleStop to undervolt the CPU as described in the first post. I'm not sure if that's really required but I did it before I found out above.
    This also fixed very annoying and weird coil beeping when moving the mouse.

8. Pedey67

Pedey67 Newbie

Reputations:
    Tha

Thank you very much for the detailed response. This unfortunately hasn't changed anything - the fan still comes on and off constantly. Anything else you could think of?

9. safety1g

safety1g Newbie

Reputations:
    After changing the curve in Afterburner to undervolt, does the program need to be open for this to be in effect or can I close it and forget about it after changing the curve?

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    AFB needs to run at boot, loads a systray app if you have it set to do so - you can exit it after you boot, the setting is completed... then it's "Safety Dance"... :)