Tuning the Aero 15-w/x/v7/v8 - Common problems & solutions

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by margroloc, Apr 27, 2018.

1. rooney111

rooney111 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    "- Keyboard problems
    Applies to: 15w-v7, 15x-v7, 15w-v8, 15x-v8
    Chattering, ignored inputs, keys falling off (lol) have all been reported - mostly the former. The true fix is keyboard replacement but software can help with chattering. Likely doesn't affect the majority of units, but be aware this is still happening with the new v8 model. If you have keyboard issues that are really bad, best is to return - firmware updates will not fix a hardware defect. Note that v8 units produced after mid-2018 should have keycaps (R shift, etc) better aligned with the lights."​

So my keyboard seems to be faulty, these two keys do not press correctly, they at first do not get registered, but on second attempt, they appear twice/double entry.

" and ^

I tried updating Fusion, uninstalled and re installed smartmanager etc but no luck. Is this the type of defect that may need the laptop to be sent in for warranty repair? If yes, would they just replace the keyboard? How do I know if mine is a hard ware or software defect?

My machine seem to be all good other than this issue(for now!) but it is still driving me nuts. Advise please?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  2. JC1987

JC1987 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Concerning the speaker quality, I have installed Viper4Windows and it's much much much better now. I also prefer it over APO Equalizer but you can even use both if you want. When I initially heard the speakers out of the box I found it to be the biggest flaw of this laptop. At least now it's bearable. Link here: https://github.com/alanfox2000/non-official-viper4windows

3. Ollie222

Ollie222 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe that a firmware update will help sort the repeated keys.

For non responsive keys to test them you sould be able to press them in the centre and at each corner using the same light force and they should work. If yiou find they are not responding or need a significant different amount of force to working keys then it is a hardware issue and the proper fix is to have the keyboard replaced.

I think the palmrest is also done as I presume it's supplied as one unit (the stickers on muy plamrest had clearly been removed and reapplied to the new palmrest.

Depending on how confident you are you may be able to fix the non responsive issue yourself by removing the key cap, checking the mechanism can freely move and then by increasing the thickness of the bit of the keycap that actually touches the keyboard membrane (a circular area about 4mm in diameter).

I did this by using several applying 4 or 5 layers of masking tape in the correct shape and position and this worked as a temp fix however I had a lot of keys that weren't perfect so decided to get the keybard replaced anyway.

4. rooney111

Reputations:
    Awesome, so keyboard double entry can be fixed through firmware. I'm on the latest firmware but hopefully another one in the future will fix it completely.

5. Ollie222

Reputations:
    That was my understanding however I thought the latest firmware sorted this so maybe it is a hardware issue.

6. rooney111

Reputations:
    Not in my case mate, I'm on latest fw but still got two keys with double entry. Hopefully next fw fixes it or I get it fixed by warranty if can be bothered!

7. Ollie222

Reputations:
    You can hope that future firmware may fix it however I'd just get it swapped out.

It was only after having mine replaced that I realised just how bad my keyboard actually was, the new one is much better and I make so many less mistakes.

8. TLCH723

TLCH723 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would also swap it under warranty like Ollie said. I am still waiting for a BIOS update for RAM since the beginning. They only did a minor fix on it

9. fackamato

fackamato Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What profile / impulse response did you use? Or did you create your own?

10. romanstyle

romanstyle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay, more keyboard issues. Just have had the 15X V8 for 3 days, after deciding not to go for the X9.

And just after having installed my ram and sdd and bunch of software I notice my keycap Y popping off so now and then...

Been in touch with my seller, gigabyte support and they both wont send out replacement keycaps and hinges. Wich is sad because sending it back just for this does not meassure up to the time spend installing and tweaking the laptop..(wich works great) And I need it for work.

Now I read on reddit someone describing the same issue and simply fixing it self by bending back some clips. Now I have been trying to figure out what is meant by this.
    The hinge holding the keycap itself is white plastic. And the hinge is held by metal clips, but its not the hinge popping off, just the keycap.

Has anyone an idea, came across the same issue and was able to fix it? Or suggetions on how to get a new keycap and hinge?