Tuning the Aero 15-w/x/v7/v8 - Common problems & solutions

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by margroloc, Apr 27, 2018.

1. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Same app here (VLC) for 1080p, can you check power option in windows? I am not sure whats wrong tho.

2. thatfatgamer

thatfatgamer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    wait a minute. this could sound like a stupid question, I haven't tried it myself, but does this mean if I try playing a game on my laptop (without connecting it to external display), only the intel GPU will be active?

3. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The signal gets passed from the dgpu to the igpu which is the only one connected to the internal monitor, and when you connect it to an external monitor with hdmi etc it outputs directly from the dgpu

4. thatfatgamer

thatfatgamer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ohh! Thanks for the explanation. The last laptop I had, had this functionality where I could switch graphics by switching power. So this is a bit new to me.

So if I understood correctly, when an application requests 3D computation, Nvidia crunches the data and hands it to intel and intel shows ut in the screen. Right?

What are the advantages of doing this way?

5. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd prefer the mux switch to be honest, software switching is buggy

Pretty much yeah, it's for power reasons, if you're not using the dgpu it just uses(think it goes idle or something, really low power) the igpu which is why you see some gaming laptops with battery lives x2/x3 gsync laptops(dgpu only). That's the only advantage. You lose options like adaptive sync and the dgpu can power on without you wanting it to eating away battery life and other issues

6. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I see DCH drivers, what is DCH?

7. Ollie222

Ollie222 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    RMXO likes this.
  8. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  9. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dank, will the gen 8 upgraded with DCH driver too? I don't see touchpad driver tho, wonder if they change the touchpad?

10. Vipeout

Vipeout Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A Major disadvantage is that you lose quite a lot performance when gaming on internal display only. Apparently the handover from the nvidia to Intel GPU is a major bottleneck. In my case, I get 50% more fps when gaming on an external Monitor, where it skips the iGPU entirely. At least that's for me, nobody seems to notice/care about this though and the ones that do claim it's only 10% performance impact. I had the exact same situation on my 2012 Dell laptop so I don't believe it's an isolated case but rather that people don't notice it since they only game on the internal display