Tuning the Aero 15-w/x/v7/v8 - Common problems & solutions

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by margroloc, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Joseph Kim

Joseph Kim Newbie

Reputations:
    I installed touchpad precision drivers but I cant seem to find palm rejection, which is a pain because of the trackpads poor placement. I tried downloading touchpad blocker, but that has its limitations. Any solutions?

On another note, should I be updating drivers on smart update if my current version is higher? Smart update says my intel graphic is 25.20.100.6325, and the "latest driver" is 24.20.100.6229

2. Rar9

Rar9 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

FN Brightness manual adust is still not working with updated SmartManager 18.0.31.... Pressing FN + Volume now will actually crash the app when its open.

I even opened a ticket to Gigabyte but they only tell me fully reset my system which is no solution.

Im open for new hints?

3. Ollie222

Ollie222 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Rar9

On my system all of the function keys work exactly as expected.

Just to confirm you definitely uninstalled all versions of smart manager via 'add/remove programs' in the control panel including the old V3 that comes as stock before installing the latest version via smart update?

Uninstalling V3 after installing the latest version gave me problems similar to yours.

Using smart update the latest version of smart manager is 18.0.2.8.

4. TheBigDoubt

TheBigDoubt Newbie

Reputations:
    So is there no way to fix the high wattage of the CPU? I haven't changed my fan mode, and my CPU always uses 13 watts regardless of what I do. It doesn't go away either and my battery life is only like 4 hours right now.

5. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How do you check yours? Mine run around 6watt, but I do undervolt (package wise around 9watt include the iGPU)

6. namaiki

namaiki "basically rocks" Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Are you running the stock Windows 10 installation or did you do a clean install? Gigabyte's power profile on battery has max processor state set to 30% which I think is a large chunk of the savings.

7. Christopher Gonzalez

Christopher Gonzalez Newbie

Reputations:
    Just following up after posting about my BIOS boot loop issue with the Aero-15w v8.

With a hard drive swap i was able to get rid of the boot loop as well as triple the speeds with an NVME drive. I was also able to get a stick of Crucial ram working at 2666mhz with the kit ram which also made me happy (No resulting BSODs... yet).

Overall I think my issues are gone but I'll keep testing for a week before telling Gigabyte that I fixed it. Everything else on this laptop has been solid and I have only felt a need to undervolt the CPU slightly.

8. ChrisTimm

ChrisTimm Newbie

Reputations:
    I had some issues with my battery life and after some investigation I found out that the 1070 Max-Q wasn't idling. Could see that in the Smart Dashboard showing the temperatures of the GPU the whole time instead of "idle".
    So I tried to find out why that is: turns out Afterburner was the culprit. I had Afterburner starting with Windows because of my GPU undervolting. But that led to the problem that the GPU won't idle.
    So if anyone is facing the same issue, especially because of the GPU undervolting tutorial of this thread, close Afterburner and check Smart Dashboard if the GPU says idle then.

9. Adeilton Amorim

Adeilton Amorim Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm in doubt between the GM501 Asus, MSI GS65 and the Aero 15 was just right with the GS65, due to cheaper price and quantiade of reclamções / problems in the forum aero 15 made me give up for a moment. But now a discount appeared on the Aero 15 1070 max-q, and I ask friends. Have these issues been resolved? Do you advise buying? What worries me the most are the hardware ones.

10. Christopher Gonzalez

Christopher Gonzalez Newbie

Reputations:
    The Aero 15 is a great laptop even with some of the issues. It just requires you to be more willing to dive into the system and make your own adjustments to make the most of it. This may require a new hard drive, or it may require an RMA if unlucky but with a working machine or the ability to fix it on your own, makes the Aero a solid laptop if you can get a good deal on it.

I would buy this laptop again even with the issue I've had. At least for the price I paid.