Tuning the Aero 15-w/x/v7/v8 - Common problems & solutions

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by margroloc, Apr 27, 2018.

1. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try to reset default your bios, if anything try to play around Intel Rapid Storage Setting, I will try to check the bios see if any setting might need to be tweaked.

edit: Go to advance section, and check the sata setting, play around with the mode (AHCI/Intel rapid something).

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  2. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Updated thread.

Thanks to notebookcheck we know that anyone who received the AUO82ED display lucked out.
    It is possibly brighter than the LGD05C0, and definitely has much better response time (~9ms/~7.5ms black to white/grey to grey vs ~11.5ms/~17ms BtW/GtG on the LG.)

The AUO overclocks to 160Hz, the settings for this are on the first post. Now we just need anyone who got the LG panel to come forward and maybe test how well it overclocks. Otherwise it is pretty much settled that the AUO panel is better. This is maybe a case of gigabyte giving reviewers a worse panel and putting a better one on majority of the retail units. :)

3. jamesdoughnut85

jamesdoughnut85 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks steakikan for your kind assistance.

Before i saw your reply, I was trying to bring up the repair menu, by interrupting the boot process. Now it doesn't even boot into BIOS. am not sure is it my keyboard problem now or am I totally screwed?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  4. steakikan

Reputations:
    What is the DP version supported by our Thunderbolt port? Is our thunderbotl Alpine Ridge or Titan Ridge?

5. gnlu26

gnlu26 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To answer your question, yes, USB-C headphones work on the Aero without problems. I have tried my USB-C dongle from my essential phone and it works fine.

Your explanation though doesn't make much sense. "purely digital" isn't possible with headphones, since audio is an analog phenomenon. At some point there HAS to be a DAC in the system or you would not hear anything from the headphones. Circling back to what you want to accomplish, using USB-C to deliver power and audio over a single cable is good use-case, but one that can be accomplished with USB-A as well. Bypassing the DAC built-in is almost always a good idea. With the exception of Apple, basically every laptop has a garbage DAC built-in. Personally I use the Fiio E17k as a solid DAC/AMP replacement for when I'm on the go. When I'm at home I plug into a Schiit Modi DAC and Magni Amp.

Your 5.1/7.1 dream via usb-c can be accomplished with the help of Audeze, as they make a great new headset for this purpose.

bberry110 likes this.
  6. DeadMeat

DeadMeat Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi gnlu26,

Thanks for taking time to reply with clarifications, answers and suggestions. To further clarify my sought after solution (but I presume that nothing exists at this time), I am looking to see who has tested what USB-C earphones and how they work on their Aero 15x. So I again appreciate your feed back and suggestions. I am actually looking more for earbuds as I already have wired over the hear headset that works great. I have found that my ears and head are overheating with the over the ear solution when used for lengthy gaming sessions. I would expect that earbuds make for cooler usage by trapping less body heat. I would also enjoy the advantage of less bulk for traveling that earbuds would provide. I suppose I am looking for something along the lines of the Xiaomi Mi ANC Earphones. These almost fulfil the niche usage that I have in mind, but they fall short by not having the 5.1 or more preferable 7.1 emulation. I suspect that there is 3rd party software out there that could accomplish the same thing. I just don't know what the compatibility would be with which earbuds and the Aero 15x USB-C port. I was hoping that this might be a good forum to examine and review what works and what has not worked for those who have tried what products with which Aero version. Perhaps this topic would be better served in a more specific forum topic or in it's own category?

Regards,

DeadMeat

7. gnlu26

gnlu26 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well then your best bet is a USB-C cable from Shure. You can buy basically any of their in-ear monitors and attach the cable to them. This also has the added bonus that you can switch between 3.5mm(included with all their headphones) and USB-C. The SE215 is their entry level model at $99, and you can go up to the SE535 at $449.

For 5.1 and 7.1 emulation, you're going to get that from Dolby Atmos. Some games, like Overwatch, have it as an option from the audio settings. Otherwise, you can enable Atmos globally on your machine if you buy it from the Windows Store. Should go without saying, but don't waste your time running Atmos when listening to music through spotify or the like, it will just ruin your music.

At the end of the day, USB-C headphones on the Aero aren't necessary unless you want to boost garbage sound quality coming from the 3.5mm jack. 5.1/7.1 emulation can still be done through the 3.5mm jack and Atmos.

You can always start another topic if you have more questions, or you can just PM me directly.

8. el3c

el3c Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This ist realy good thread here!

I have an issue and maybe someone could help:

If I Set to "high Performance" I get a noisy Sound (coil whine?) from the middle of the mainboard. It's not loud but if I am in a quite room I will hear that.

If I Set the Laptop to balanced, the noise has gone... It seems only to appear if the cpu is running on 3.9 Ghz and is on idle without load.

Using Balanced Mode is not a Option, because max clock speed is 2.1ghz.

And I rly dont understand why my cpu isnt clocking down from 3.9ghz if it is on idle even it s running on high Performance.

My Desktop 8700k is also running in high perf mode but is clocking down to 900mhz if its on idle.

Any suggestions here from you?

I am sry for my bad english ;)

9. steakikan

Reputations:
    on your coil whine, I think you should just bring to the seller/for warranty if it is quite annoying
    on performance and idle speed, do not use the Gigabyte SmartManager power plan, it is like that (will always keep to 3.9ghz on performance, and 1.2ghz on battery mode cmiiw)

el3c likes this.
  10. el3c

el3c Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You are right... I ve mailed with the seller, they send me a return code via DHL and will Exchange the device directly after incoming.