Tuning the Aero 15-w/x/v7/v8 - Common problems & solutions

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by margroloc, Apr 27, 2018.

1. van_on

van_on Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

Wondering, do Aero 15x V8 has a 'USB PowerShare' - like my old Dell laptop, charging anything while laptop turned off.
    Tried all 3 ports while laptop turned off - no result, no charge.

Checked the BIOS - no option to enable powershare (dell do have one).

Any ideas?

2. van_on

van_on Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    and one more stuff,

anything I can do with the shaking display? Seems like it is not screwed tight enough, some small vibrations on my table and laptop screen goes shaking badly moving there and back.

3. salomamo

salomamo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I just had a question. Recently my aero 15 v7, started running a lot hotter and turned out the CPU was throttling just playing dota2. So it turns out the fan on the CPU side (ride side) just doesn't ramp up and stays at its standard speed. I am wondering if this is the normal set up, as I never had to worry about it. Or is that fan done for?

I am not in the US for the foreseeable future, so can't really do an RMA. Anyone know what to do here? Thanks for any help.

4. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    FB05, same issue. Not sure that it actually affects anything so I will not add it to this thread but it is not nice for sure. Would like to see gigabyte fix it

Often people like to exaggerate backlight bleed because camera photos look worse in person but that looks pretty severe, if you can notice it normally I would consider a switch. The internet problems are almost always related to your isp/network equipment/drivers. I am not sure what you mean with the CPU slowness, if you have quiet fan mode on then yes they do throttle to ~15W.

No, you don't void the warranty by breaking the stickers and opening the laptop.

One guy made a thread with the last gen 7700HQ model and sanded the heatsink and then used LM. He claimed some ridiculous temp drops which I kind of find hard to believe.
    I have seen the vast majority of people who use LM and other pastes on this laptop claim very small improvements or even worse temps by a degree or two.

In fact I tried to repaste with LM several months ago. Did several benchmarks controlling for fan speeds, ambient temps, software running in the background. Repeated the LM application 4 times before I gave up. In the end LM either matched the stock paste on CPU/GPU/both or lost by 1-2C. I just cleaned everything off and switched to kryonaut. I never bothered to write up my results because they were so uninspiring for hours of work. Short of modding the heatsink this laptop will throttle just like razor blade/gs15/etc. It is not surprising with 45W+90W and very light heatsink.

Both fans should be running at the same speed always. If the CPU one is totally stopped then you have a problem (well, there is a problem regardless). Try reseating the connector?

D2 Ultima and salomamo like this.
  5. salomamo

salomamo Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the Quick response!
    Have a torx toolkit on the way, hopefully, will be here soon will update when I am able to open the back plate and re-seat the fan. But thank you for confirming that the fans should be running at the same speed.

6. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try to run Gigabyte SmartDashboard and see what is the reported RPM (it is not the SmartManager), they do have individual fan reporting iirc, I will check when I get home later.

edit: They don't have individual fan rpm -_-

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  7. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I've seen the 7700HQ/1060N unit be fixed with LM and reworking, though still warm. But the 8750H is impossible, as it is on the GS65.

I asked because people were trying to say that random users online claimed no overheat/throttle with LM, and I said no. So here's the nice proof I'd wanted. Thank you.

8. DeadMeat

DeadMeat Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

First time posting, but a long time lurker. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this great thread. I have had my Aero 15x for about 4 months now and it has fulfilled all of the wants/needs that it was purchased for. I have recently been researching and entertaining the idea of purchasing a set of USB-C earbuds for the digital quality. I know these are more immensely popular with the Android phone community on the newest phones (I am not an Android phone user). From what I have read I understand that there are some issues with the Android phones whereby the manufacturer of the USB-C headset use a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter). This misses the point of the purely digital USB-C port (vs the 3.5mm jack). While I understand that our great laptops have the 3.5mm jack, I would like to move into the USB-C earbuds world, but I am curious about if they work as designed on the Aero model laptops. Some of the ideals being the pure digital signal, Noise Cancelation (can draw direct power to run the NC processing on the earbuds) and keeping USB-A ports free. My primary end goal application would be 5.1/7.1 surround sound emulation for gaming and movie/music enjoyment via a purely digital signal.

So if anyone has an Android device with USB-C earbuds (mic and speakers) or purchased 3rd part USB-C earbuds, have you connected it to your Aero laptop? If so, did it work? Do you know if your earbuds have a DAC? Have you tried gaming, watching movies or listening to music with them, how was the experience? Did you have to install drivers or software to get them to work? Appreciate any insight.

Peace,

DeadMeat

9. jamesdoughnut85

jamesdoughnut85 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, i’m kinda in a pretty pickle at the moment. I closed the lid of the Aero 15x before I went to bed the previous night. When I woke it up the next morning by lifting the lid, I was greeted with BSOD “DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION”. Googled it and have been trying to boot into safe mode via smashing the F8 button, inserting a Win 10 installation flash drive. Checked BIOS, both M.2 NVMe could be detected. Nothing seems to work. It keeps going into BIOS. Anyone could kindly advise please?

10. salomamo

salomamo Newbie

Reputations:
    So after opening the back plate and looking down inside, the fans both work. The fan on the right side (where the charging port is), does ramp up but it is definitely running slower than the other fan. Regardless, the temps are way too high. Have ordered some thermal compound so will try that, otherwise, SOL and will have to wait until in the US again to try and RMA over Christmas break...

It's just frustrating to see that the CPU temps jump up so far high to cause thermal throttling on a simpler game like DOTA2. GPU temps stay around 75 F max, so hoping changing thermal paste will help.

Yeah, I have tried to pull up the rpms separately and it just isn't there. Thank you for trying.