Tuning the Aero 15-w/x/v7/v8 - Common problems & solutions

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by margroloc, Apr 27, 2018.

1. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I also got ACPI issue, but not on extreme side. Seems the EC controller is quite erratic and its firmware is unstable, maybe Gigabyte could try to improve the firmware?

2. headkaze

headkaze Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So my Samsung 960 Pro NVMe boot drive just died in my 15X. I assume from overheating. Need to RMA it now. I think I've installed Windows about 5 times on this machine and will need to install it again soon. Oh the fun.

3. dan@aero15x

dan@aero15x Newbie

Reputations:
    So I got terrible temperatures as well, playing Forza Horizon the CPU hits 93°C on some cores. Same when benchmarking with TimeSpy.
    After undervolting by 0.185V it looks better, but temperatures are still above 80°C - no more throtteling though when running TimeSpy.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/yZXsEr9

Thanks for the very informative thread!

4. cetteh

cetteh Newbie

Reputations:
    I have major issues with backlight bleed to the point where I can see a slight blue tint on the right third and top and bottom left corners on my screen. Also, I've been having severe internet connectivity issues. When I use discord I have a constant 300-10k ping, as well as not being able to connect to some game servers. My cpu seems to be running slightly slower than average as well. When I disconnect my headphones and reconnect them while my aero is powered on, it seems that I cannot switch back to just using my headphones, either having to settle for sound out of both my headphones and speakers or just my speakers. Really feeling like I should just return my device based on just the backlight bleed alone.

Attached Files:

5. xDjinn

xDjinn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yep i got this ACPI EVENT 13 issue as well :

• ACPI error 13: The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.
    • DistributedCOM error 10016
    On bios FB05

6. xyzeratul

xyzeratul Newbie

Reputations:
    Right now I am adding another SSD(970 EVO) to my aero 15x, but also consider a repaste (I used it for almost 5 month), just one problem, I can't unplug the battery....this thing is too hard to unplug, anyone has a good idea about this?

7. TLCH723

TLCH723 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just take your time. Is really hard to unplug the first couple of times. Then it will get loose

8. Blacktyde

Blacktyde Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi! First post here!

So I just received my 15x v8 today. I really read up on all the issues, and I amazingly don't seem to have any of them I've noticed so far.

I do have a coil whine when it is plugged in... not sure if that's a big deal or not?

Also, I noticed the anti tamper stickers on the back... Am I going to void my warranty popping off the back panel? I'd love to stick a Samsung 970 in/add more ram/upgrade the wireless card/repaste. I'm a little leery of voiding warranty on a $2,000 laptop so many people have had issues with.

xDjinn likes this.
  9. xeo2766

xeo2766 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have checked with my local distributor and they gave me the go ahead. Ultimately, there is also a thermal pad inside the box for you to insert your 2nd nvme ssd.

Wow that sounds awesome, will you also verify the event viewer log by error ? If there is no acpi error will you share your bios version and driver versions ?

TIA :D

10. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I've got a question. I skipped through the thread, I just wanna know if anyone here has claimed to fix the cooling on this unit and can provide a video with it under simultaneous stress?