Trying to underclock/undervolt my maxwell laptop gpu

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by chrisssj3, Mar 8, 2020.

1. chrisssj3

chrisssj3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    People I don't understand why you are doing this, please don't de-rail my topic by trying to steer me somewhere else.
    All I wish is a method to undervolt my GPU, wether by a bios edit of my own bios, an existing bios or some software that can do this.
    My reasons are my own and quite irrevelant for my question,

2. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The only person I can think of that can give you a final answer on this is @Prema

3. Costen

Costen Newbie

Reputations:
    At this point in time, will he even be able to help?

hfm likes this.
  4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    get a modded vbios search google then use nvidia inspector to undervolt very easy to do and yes its possible.

the 980m will need voltage controls unlocked and for that you will need to get your hands on a Prema bios or ask svet over at MSI...infact you can ask in NBR head on over to the msi ask a rep page and try to ask around...svet might be able to help for a small donation

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    He talk about Maxwell graphics. In short, all mod vBios is made for increasing voltage.
    upload_2020-9-24_2-52-24.png

6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah I realize that I did not see the 1080ti as that was not mentioned in the title....but he will need a modded vbios that much is known

7. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not really. Haven't you thought that there is a reason why you're having so hard time to find a vBIOS that suits your needs? What you are looking for is the equivalent to looking for an investment trading strategy that makes you lose money on purpose, you won't find any information about such a thing because is irrational behavior.

There is probably a better solution to the real problem you are trying to fix.

8. chrisssj3

Reputations:
    For some reason in nvidia inspector it won't allow me to undervolt, like in your picture. I suppose because your picture has modified bios? Though it seems like your card/bios cant get memory underclocked there.

9. chrisssj3

Reputations:
    Don't you think I have tried that? I've searched endlessly on google for an appropriate bios that might have the possibility of letting me do this. But nothing, and the few things I did were not alive.
    So definitely NOT easy. You say this "Prema bios" will allow me to do it? I searched nowhere to be found.

This bios is the closest I have found.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/214971/214971
    Same device id, but different Subsystem Id. Not sure if that matters? It needs to be a 100% match?
    Also It seems this GPU has a G-Sync capable version and non G-sync version.
    My card = G-Sync. But no bios mentions wether it is G-sync or not...

Also tried opening this bios with MaxwellBiosTweaker 1.36 but it gives me errors. So i dont think I can trust this bios.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  10. Costen

Costen Newbie

Reputations:
    JRE84 likes this.