Trying to underclock/undervolt my maxwell laptop gpu

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by chrisssj3, Mar 8, 2020.

1. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If its heating up, teardown, clean and repaste, given that you have such a large chassis with decent cooling, thats what it might need.

Most Maxwell vBIOS are locked, you need an unlocked vBIOS to unlock access to power management and more range on the core clock control.
    You might be able to use NvInspector to lock the core to a lower P state.
    If its to extend battery life, no undervolt you gain you much, consider an external power bank made for laptops.

EDIT:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/power-heat-problem-with-my-p771dm-g-laptop.832129/

Going by your previous thread, this sounds kinda like your VRM's are overheating due to improper thermal pad sizing/gaps.

2. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Is it derailing to question if it's due to heat, and knowing that repasting would be the path of least resistance, and better for the health of the future of the laptop if so?

Software tweaks don't solve physical hardware issues, that's all.

Maxwell chips are too locked down for what you want to achieve. I used to have a GTX 980M, they are great at overclocking/volting, but it's a one way street.

JRE84 likes this.
  3. chrisssj3

chrisssj3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have seperate topics for seperate questions.
    So you are saying there is no way to undervolt this chip?

4. chrisssj3

Reputations:
    Would you know a way to get this "unlocked vBios"?
    How would you lock the core to a lower P state using NVinspector?

5. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its all related to the same problem, thats why you shouldn't make lots of topics when the underlying problem is the same.
    Either Klemm on techinferno(use a VPN maybe if you cant make an account), or Prema.

About locking P-State, might not work on Maxwell, read this topic:
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/how-to-force-lock-p-state.397347/

Its still seems like you need to replace the thermal pads on your CPU VRM's and maybe you GPU core is not that healthy if it keeps crashing, sounds more like some VRAM chip might be damaged.

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @chrisssj3 Its better if you actually explain the problem you are having (if there is one) and why are you trying to underclock and undervolt the GPU.

As others have already explained, NV made it difficult to purely undervolt or underclock the GPU's from Maxwell onward because they tied the clocks and voltages together.
    Plus, if the GPU bios is locked, you might be encountering even more issues. I understand its not impossible, just difficult.

Also, if the laptop functioned fine when you first got it (when it was brand new), then it stands to reason you could simply try opening up the machine and cleaning it from dust along with re-applying quality thermal paste to both CPU and GPU (and possibly quality thermal pads to the VRM's and GPU memory chips).

Plus, you might see into potentially undervolting the CPU as well (after trying to clean up and repaste the laptop).

7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Maxwell is difficult to undervolt and requires vBIOS modification. Pascal and Turing are very easy to undervolt using voltage/frequency curve editor in MSI Afterburner and similar software.

8. chrisssj3

Reputations:
    So there is no one able on this entire forum to undervolt a maxwell gpu? I understand it may not be easy. But usually there are some people around with know how?
    I tried searching for a new bios, but all links are dead..

9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ?are you also blind, why game if you are blind people want to know what the issue is?

10. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Probably he want's more battery life while playing, at sacrifice of frame rate. I can't think any other logic reason.