Trying to respond to post about upgrading screens to 1080p but it is closed

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Announcements and Guidelines' started by Wsky, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wsky

Wsky Newbie

Reputations:
  2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    The last response on that thread was back in 2014 so the thread was closed. With such an old thread you should start another rather than revive the old one.

As far as asking a specific member a question once you have been here a while and made a few contributing posts you will then be allowed to send Personal Messages.

Lastly, Welcome to NBR.................

katalin_2003 and ChanceJackson like this.
  3. Wsky

Wsky Newbie

Reputations:
    So what if the last response was 2014? There is a lot of information in that thread that is not time sensitive, still relevant and what 2014 was what 2 years and 3 months ago? This is not exactly "such an old". 2001 might be "such an old" but not in a forum that discusses notebook hardware. (I just watched a video about a guy refurbing and 1997 IBM Thinkpad) Restarting the thread would require all the information that was traded to have to be discussed all over again. Following some of the links that were provided takes me right to the parts I need. Please reopen it. This new fad of closing old threads just because they are "old" is getting out of hand. There could be threads from 1998 that are still relevant.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Wsky,

The original post is from 2011 and Dec 2014 is over 3 years ago, not 2. ;)

Nothing needs to be discussed again - just a link to that thread is all that is needed.

Just as a 'fyi' when I'm searching quickly the first thing I use to filter is the date - I won't even look at something from that long ago when skimming for info...

Either way; the mods have responded to you. Ask any question you would like answered, but it isn't a good idea to be questioning the forum's policies (especially with only two posts...).

Wish I could help directly with your questions, but I can't. Others should be able to offer something for you if you change your attitude a little.

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. Wsky

Wsky Newbie

Reputations:
    I think you need to reexamine your mathematics skills because December 2014 was just 2 years and three months ago, certainly not "over" 3 years. I'll simplify if for you. December, 2016 was three months ago. December 2014 was 2 years before 2016. Does that help? ;)

Did you read the original post? Lots needs to be discussed again, SPECIFICALLY, if everyone was successful in performing the upgrade.

If you cannot help you should not be responding. Go troll somewhere else.

Attempting to simply have something changed is not an "attitude". It is a complaint. There is absolutely no rational reason to have closed that post when the discussion was incomplete. I and many silent others that do not have the will to put up with THIS attitude from are seeking a solution to this problem.

I am not asking for a debate I am politely asking for the thread to be reopened so the discussion can continue without causing confusion or difficulty.

I am also suggesting that this new fad of closing threads that are a measily 2 years and 3 months old because they are perceived to be "old" needs to be stopped.

If a NEW thread is opened on the exact same subject then those that perform internet or forum searches will be having to read TWO or more threads, consuming MORE time and causing MORE confusion. Please try to put yourself in the shoes of those whose this forum is supposed to benefit.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    @Wsky I feel your pain, but you should file a complaint in appropriate forum, not here. And, in time you might understand why exactly the practice that upsets you so much is relevant and effective.

7. Wsky

Wsky Newbie

Reputations:
    I am not filing a complaint. Just asking for the thread to be reopened. This is the forum it was in. It seems appropriate to ask for it to be re-opened here. Man is this ever bureaucratic for something so utterly simple to do but would be very helpful. What could it possibly be "effective" for?

8. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi,

On this forum, threads are automatically locked after one year of inactivity. The information is still visible. We have this practice in place to encourage users to create new content. For online forums, continuous content creation is important to help the forum look as active as possible.

That said, that's the automatic behavior. On request, we usually grant the requests to re-open. I re-opened the thread for you as a courtesy.

The next time you find a thread is locked that you want to reply to, start a new thread, and put a link to the old one in your post. That is the accepted and encouraged practice.

Charles

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  9. Wsky

Wsky Newbie

Reputations:
    I read about this 'tyranny of the default.' Seems preposterous to rate form over function. You're only interested in how your forum appears "look"?
    Are replies to existing threads not indicative that a forum is active? I would suggest that closing threads makes a forum LESS active since participants are unable to reply to a thread and tend to walk away. Closing threads also seems to be a form of control and censorship, "I don't like these threads that were started 13 months ago so let's have them closed and bar anyone from creating new information from them. "

Still cannot PM for some reason.

10. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Based on your feedback (which has been noted), I'm compelled to point out that the use of this forum is voluntary. It's our house, and our rules. If you don't like that, maybe it's best you find another place to go.

To create a conversation, you need a minimum post count of five. Making one in the thread I opened for you would be a good start.

Charles

tilleroftheearth and saturnotaku like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.