Trying to get the most bang for my buck

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Peon, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Peon

Peon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? $1000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Web surfing, office stuff, VMs

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Mostly leaving it on the desk

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) Probably? Would be nice if it could run AAA games at 30 fps on the lowest settings for the next 5 years for dual boxing purposes, but it doesn't really matter.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 8+, preferably 10+

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Buying online is OK

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) 1080p

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) Matte, but I'll put up with glossy if that's where I have to compromise

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? No

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 512 GB SSD should be enough

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? Anytime. I am undecided whether I even want to upgrade at this time or wait another 6 months for Cezanne.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 7-10 years. It needs enough CPU + RAM to last that long, along with a swappable battery

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? Probably forever

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? Don't need onsite warranty

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    A Ryzen-powered HP Envy x360 or Dell Inspiron 14 would do what you need at your target budget.

3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I recommend the msi modern 14in ps42 with the mx330 or mx250 should be able to game at 1080p low for about 3 years but with the new consoles coming out that might change...10 hours battery life thin and light good cooling and thunderbot 3 for egpu or docks really fits the bill....great little machine