Trying to find my dad a new laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Canon 90D, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Canon 90D

Canon 90D Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I've been trying to find a new laptop for my dad. His old Acer touchscreen fell and cracked and he is ready to get something new. Ive been looking for awhile, and his budget vs requirements are a tough one to find something in. Here is the form from the top of the page.

General Questions

1) What is your budget? Would like go stay under 1k or as close to it as possible. He is a bit of a penny pincher.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: razer, Dell, MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte
    b. Dislike: Lenovo, and unfortunately HP
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Web browsing, streaming Netflix, hulu, etc, email

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Occasional travel but not often.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) Nope

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Not alot since mostly plugged in

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Not important

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) FHD or higher

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) No Preference

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Not really

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 512gb minimum

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? Soon

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? Several years, he doesn't upgrade until something breaks

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? Few weeks

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? No preference, he generally has me fix things.

So, his main features he likes and says are absolutely necessary are:

Touchscreen
    Backlit keyboard
    Fingerprint sensor

I would like him to have something upgradable, so I can swap in new ram or SSD if necessary. He purchased a pretty good laptop from Amazon, an HP Envy x360 with 1tb SSD and I think 16gb RAM, got it setup, shut it down, and when he went to start it back up got a "critical start error" or something. He wouldn't let me troubleshoot it, and instead sent it back. It was one of those that a company had purchased and done "upgrades" to, so the box was not sealed. It had walmart papers in the box.

So, need a minimum 15" screen, upgradeable, touch screen, back-lit keyboard, fingerprint sensor (this may be optional), all for as absolutely close to 1k as possible. I would prefer it to have intel i7 or higher, but a good AMD is not out of the question.

90D

2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, tons of laptops are upgradable at this point.

https://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=249

If you'd consider "used" then you can find some real deals on the regular sites like ebay / foacebook / craigslist.

Touchscreen though might be a big swing outside most of the tablet options. It's not cheap with the complexity of the different pieces required for TS laptops.

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=computer...d=1634481387&rnid=2528832011&ref=sr_nr_p_89_6

Asus - $600-$800
    Dell - $800+
    MSI $1250+

Some might have a FP reader but, when selecting that option it dropped the selection down to 1 @ $1800+

If you can whittle it down to a couple of choices based on the CPU or another feature zeroing in on something specific gets easier. Amazon is usually a decent price compared to a local dealer and the return option is easy. For the limited things he's planning on doing maybe a surface / tablet option w/ a keyboard could be an option that's viable.

3. Canon 90D

Canon 90D Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    He likes this one. Ive explained to him that it is also sold by a third party who has "upgraded" it but I think he's going to give it a try. I tried talking him into an Inspiron 15 5515 series from the Dell outlet but he really doesn't want refurbished.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000A-0FZJ3

90D

4. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Refurbs are nice as they usually fix what breaks in the first couple of weeks if it's a bad production run and usually have a slightly longer warranty.

For a warranty boost use a Citi CC. 3RD party isn't bad but, sometimes you run into other issues. I've bought several Dell's on ebay and they lasted years and got sold after I upgraded to something different.

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Most manufacturer outlet notebooks are returns, but come with a nice discount over new. As long as it's not marked scratch and dent, it should look new and have a good battery. I've bought from all the Outlets - HP, Lenovo, Apple, Dell and they always look new, though sometimes, particularly with Apple, don't get the fancy packaging. The Dell seems like a good fit.