Trying to find decent thin and light laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by eddi3x3x3, Oct 11, 2019.

1. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    Less than $2800 if possible

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15" - 17" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    United States

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Dell, Alienware, Asus, MSI, Eluktronics, Lenovo
    b. Dislike: HP
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming and Programming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes, I constantly migrate between upstairs, downstairs and sometimes move around university

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes: League of Legends, Ark:Survival evolved, Minecraft (ray traced), Overwatch, Dark souls III, apex legends

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    I need it to last me at least 5 hours minimum with moderate usage

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Possibly

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows for gaming but will install linux for programming environment

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p with 120 hz or more
    13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Somewhat but not required

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    2 available m.2 slots if available but could settle for 1 m.2 possibly

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Might wait until black friday sales

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    At least 2 years, maybe more if it has the features I need

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    I could be without my laptop for about a month but prefer onsite help if available

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I'd pay for on-site warranty

EXTRA
    So I 100% prefer the following
    1. Most ports on the back, I really like having a clean setup with all the cables going through the back (especially the power input)
    2. Thunderbolt 3 or alienware graphics amp, I want a thin and light I can either
    a. Hook up to egpu with thundbolt 3 and connect to alienware monitor (3440x1440) and play all triple A titles at LEAST 90 FPS
    b. Hook up to alienware graphics amp and connect to alienware monitor (3440x1440) and play all triple A titles at LEAST 90 FPS (I know amp has better performance than thunderbolt 3 in general but if someone has a similar setup with thunderbolt 3 with experience, I'm down)
    c. Have a laptop with enough GPU power to handle games at 3440x1440 without an eGPU @ 90 fps for AAA and 120 FPS for esports titles but I don't know how achievable this would be with 2080 max q (90w or 100w variant)
    3. Need a really good feeling keyboard. Alienware m15 r1 keyboard is mediocre but it is the MINIMUM bar of quality I want. So the keyboard needs to feel the same or better than m15 r1, big fan of mechanical but the options are limited and prefer to have a numpad if possible
    4. Under 4.8 lbs (just the laptop)
    5. Need enough GPU performance to play games @ 1080p @ 90 FPS or more.
    Apex legends I want 120 fps min
    league of legends I want 144 fps min
    Overwatch I want 144 fps min
    6. I'm not scared to go in and tweak the hell out of the laptop until the thermals are in control, re-pasting or using liquid metal

Current options being looked at
    1. Alienware m15 r1
    Display: 240 hz @ 1080p
    CPU: 8950hk
    GPU: Nvidia 2080 max q (90w)
    Batt: 90WHr
    2. Alienware m15 r2 (soldered ram and wifi card is a turn off but great keyboard I've heard)
    Display: 240 hz @ 1080p
    CPU: 9750h
    GPU: Nvidia 2080 max q (90w)
    Batt: 76WHr
    3. Eluctronics Mag 15
    Display: 144 hz @ 1080p
    CPU: 9750h
    GPU: Nvidia 20780 max q (has electroboost but limited thermals)
    Batt: 94WHr

Honorable mentions
    1. Lenovo y740 was once an option too but the battery is way too small, I know you can upgrade it to the 76 WHr but then I'd only have 1 m.2 slot instead of 2. I like that it has Gsync but they keyboard is also a concern to me that it's shifted to the right.
    2. Eluctronics Mech 15 has too little of a battery and no thunderbolt 3
    3. MSI thin laptops mostly have ports on the side which I HATE.

I don't know whether to possibly wait until next year to see the new laptops announced at CES or go for what's currently available. I know US might have a 15% extra tax on laptops starting december 15 possibly and the new ampere GPUs for mobile possibly coming out next summer will cost an arm and a leg, possibly a kidney. I rather just get an eGPU or alienware graphic amp and stick a Desktop ampere GPU in there for my desktop gaming in that case.