Trying to decide between 2014 Mazda6 4-door and 2014 Mazda3 5-door...

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by allfiredup, Dec 18, 2013.

?

2014 Mazda6 4-door or 2014 Mazda3 5-door?

1. 2014 Mazda6 i Touring 4-door

25.0%
  2. 2014 Mazda3 s Touring 5-door

75.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    One thing that really makes the new Mazda3 'i' (2.0L) models look odd is the use of undersized 16" wheels/tires. The 's' models 18-inchers fit the wheel wells and the car itself perfectly.

The entry-level Mazda6 Sport has 17" wheels while the mid-level Touring and top-level Grand Touring have 19". But even the basic 17s on the Sport don't look undersized so they don't detract from the car's appearance. They NEED to make 17"' standard (or at least available) on the 2.0L Mazda3 models. I'm sure that more than a few would-be Mazda3 buyers have been put off by the dinky, cheap looking undersized wheels....

I agree that the 2014 Mazda3 design is certainly more polarizing than the first two generations of the car (2004-2009 & 2010-2013). I think I mentioned it in a previous post, but the 2014 Mazda3 5-door is particularly unfortunate looking. Some angles just make it look dull and boring while others make you wonder, "Did they do that on purpose?" The sedan looks a lot cleaner and the lines flow naturally, sort of like a 7/8th-scale version of the Mazda6... although the Mazda6 is still far better looking!

I miss the versatility of my 2006 Mazda3 s 5-door and I'm still adjusting to driving a conventional sedan with a trunk (or a 'boot' as they call it in England)! The most alluring thing to me about the Mazda3 was the availability of the 5-door hatchback bodystyle. If I didn't have my 2012 CX-9 SUV, I couldn't make it without at least having a hatchback. It is such a useful and versatile bodystyle and it's a shame that we don't have more of them available in the U.S. If not more 5-door hatchbacks, I'd be very happy with a few good wagons to choose from! Instead, one of the best (Acura TSX Sport Wagon) is going out of production this year with no replacement. At least Volvo now has the V60, but who can afford $40k+ for a (small) mid-size wagon???

Back to the Mazda3....the 2014 will be due for a mid-model-cycle (MMC) 'refresh' for the 2016 model year (or as an early 2017 model at the latest). I'm looking forward to seeing if they address some of the strange design details at that time....if they continue to sell at current levels (just over 52k in the first half of 2014) I doubt it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.