Trying to decide between 2014 Mazda6 4-door and 2014 Mazda3 5-door...

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by allfiredup, Dec 18, 2013.

?

2014 Mazda6 4-door or 2014 Mazda3 5-door?

1. 2014 Mazda6 i Touring 4-door

25.0%
  2. 2014 Mazda3 s Touring 5-door

75.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irkan

irkan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ha that's cool! Wonder why they didn't advertise this feature, haven't read about it anywhere.

I drove 2.0L with 18" and full tech package, the engine was meh... Wasn't the worst part of the car though, the seats and the rough ride were my biggest disappointment.

2. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have no idea why they don't advertise the E911 auto-call feature but they should! I was a little skeptical about it when I first heard about it on the 2013 CX-5. I was curious about how or if it would work if the vehicle was involved in serious frontal collision that destroyed the battery or electrical system. But I have since learned that it the E911 function is handled by the ECU (Electronic Control Unit) which is the 'brain' that decides when/if to deploy airbags and triggers the seatbelt pretensioners (pulls the belts as tight as possible). It is located under the center console and maintains power for at least a few minutes after a collision even if the battery is trashed. It sends the signal to the phone to call 911.

Another great feature that they do talk about is the Blind Spot Monitor (BSM). I fell in love with it on my 2012 CX-9 and it is even more useful on the new Mazda6. For 2014, they added "Rear Cross-Traffic Alert" so the BSM monitors actually scan for oncoming cars as you back out of a blind parking spot! In my CX-9, I'm up high enough to see over most vehicles parked beside me so I can see if anything is coming. But the Mazda6 sits much lower and it is an awesome feature to have....I'm not sure how I lived without this stuff before! =)

BTW, the 2.5L has a lot more punch than the 2.0L, especially at low speeds.

irkan likes this.
  3. allfiredup

Reputations:
    I’m not sure if you know this, but the 2015 Mazda6 was actually released in mid-January of this year (2014). The 2014 went on sale on January 2, 2013, so they rolled out the 2015 one year later. 2014 and 2015 have been selling alongside one another for the last five months. 2015 changes were very minimal and both years look identical with the exceptional a new color added for 2015 called Deep Crystal Blue.

The reason I’m telling you all this is because there are some excellent deals to be had on 2014 models!

Assuming that you are interested in the Grand Touring model, the 2014 was available with two option packages. The i-ELOOP Regeneerative Braking System included with the Technology Package wasn’t quite ready for production when the 2014 was introduced. So many earlier production 2014 GTs have a $900 MRCC + FOW Package (Mazda Radar Cruise Control & Forward Obstruction Warning). When the Technology Package became available, it was priced at $2080 and included MRCC, FOW, i-ELOOP, Lane Departure Warning, Automatic High Beam Control and Active Grille Shutters to reduce drag. The Technology Package increases city and highway fuel economy by 2mpg.

The 2014 Grand Touring base price was $29.495 (increased to $29,695 mid-year). My 2014 Grand Touring is one of the few that doesn’t have either of the option packages mentioned above. Even in standard form, it is still loaded.

Sticker price for the 2015 Grand Touring only increased by $200 to $29,895. The Technology Package remains $2,080. But the 2014 will obviously have much deeper discounts available.

If you are interested in a mid-level Touring model rather than the top-of-the-line Grand Touring, the differences between 2014 and 2015 models are slightly more significant. The 2014 Touring stickered for $24,495 and the only option was the Touring Technology Package for $2,000. The Touring Tech Pkg included Navigation, Bose 11-spkr Audio, Advanced Keyless Entry, Smart City Brake Support (auto-braking), Rain-sensing wipers, Homelink and auto-dimming rearview and driver’s side mirrors and heated outside mirrors).

The 2015 Touring starts at $24,895 but the Advanced Keyless Entry (Smart Key) from the Tech Pkg is now standard. There are also two option packages- the new Moonroof/Bose/Satellite Radio Pkg for $1,325 (self-explanatory). The Touring Technology Package is $1,550 and includes Navigation, Smart City Brake Support, Rain-sensing wipers, Auto-dimming mirrors and heated outside mirrors).

In terms of real-world pricing, a 2014 Grand Touring with no options and a 2015 Touring w/ both option packages both sell for $27-27.5k. A 2014 Touring w/ Tech Pkg can be had for $24.5 or a little less.

All 2014 and 2015 Mazda6 models are available with 0.9% APR financing for up to 60 months (if you qualify). If you want to estimate a payment based on that rate, it’s $17.05 per $1000 financed. I was able to get this deal on my 2014 GT and I put enough down so I would only need to finance $20k. My payment is just $343 per month and I’ll only pay $580 in interest over the life of 60-month loan! =)

Probably WAY more info than you wanted or needed, but I thought I would share just in case….

irkan likes this.
  4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Except the sound of your wallet exploding.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I'm just going to jump in here with a bit more Mazda love. We've had a 2012 Mazda5 (the Mazda3-based mini-minivan) with the six-speed manual for a couple years now, and it is a mind-bendingly-good vehicle. Steering feel, transmission feel, and handling compete with a lot of compact cars, but it's got the useful interior space of a midsize crossover (fantastic headroom, and usable, if not comfortable, third row seating). Got it for $20k brand new and plan on driving it until it's dead.

6. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    I had looked at the 5 as a cheap MPV, are the 2 rear rows of seats comfortable for 4 adults? I've never seen a manual Mazda5, they are all automatic here.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    The second row seats are comfortable for adults; the third row of seats are doable but not comfortable. I've ridden back there for an hour round trip to a winery, but I wouldn't want to be back there for any longer.

The configuration we use is: front row for adults (obviously); second row for my two kids; third row occasional use for additional adults or kids (but folded flat into the floor about 90% of the time).

With an MPV body and a four-cylinder engine, I'm glad we have the manual; it gives it a lot more responsiveness than an automatic transmission normally provides under such circumstances.

8. allfiredup

Reputations:
    The entry-level Mazda5 Sport is available with a standard 6-speed manual and a 5-speed automatic is optional. The 5-speed A/T is standard on the Touring and Grand Touring models.

9. irkan

irkan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanx a lot for the info @allfiredup :D however financing was not an option for me, I hate debit / installments / interest lol I actually spent the last 2 years or so avoiding buying a car because I dont want to pay installments so I saved some money on the side to pay cash for the car I want, I hate the feeling of owing some money to someone and constantly having to pay small portion over long periods of time (strange I know but I dont like the feeling of being in-debit to someone :D) and boy am I glad I waited for the new Mazdas :rolleyes:

anyway, after spending weeks trying to decide which one to get, and after driving them both back to back, I ended up getting the 3, I had a good deal on it, the 6 was a bit pricier and I could not justify the extra $$ for the extra space, as I will have only one passenger for foreseeable future.

In terms of driving dynamics I found both to be very similar, my first test drive with the 3 was very harsh due to the tires being inflated to the end of 30s PSI, when I drove them both (3 and 6) back to back I made sure that both have proper tire pressure (approx 35) and both drove about the same, fun to drive, a bit harsh (the 3 was a bit lighter though)

I liked them both, but for me it came down to extra space vs MZD Connect + Active Driving Display + extra cash as everything else was similar, and as I am a gadget freak, I pulled the trigger on a beautiful Jet Black 3 :cool:

and here are the pics for anyone who is looking to buy a mazda, as when I was doing my research about which cars to get I loved looking at owners pics and wished more people would post.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. allfiredup

Reputations:
    Congrats! I don't think I've seen a 2014 Mazda3 in Black yet but it really looks fantastic!

I've always been a fan of the 5-door/hatchback (don't call it a 'wagon') version of the Mazda3. My 2006 Mazda3 was a 5-door and I definitely preferred it over the sedan. I felt the same way about the 2nd generation (2010-2013) also.

After seeing a few of the 2014 models in both sedan and hatchback styles, I definitely think Mazda's new design "language" makes the new sedan look great (and the hatchback looks odd/frumpy from some angles). Did you go with the light (Almond) interior? The Technology Package adds several class-exclusive high-tech features, but at $2,600 it can also push the total price over the $30k mark. It's great that they offer it for anyone who wants it and is willing to pay for it, but the Mazda3 GT is already such a complete package that it doesn't need it...

The MAZDA CONNECT infotainment system in the Mazda3 is DEFINITELY superior to the unit found in the Mazda6 and CX-5. I was hoping that it would migrate to the Mazda6 for 2015, but it didn't....maybe the 2016 model will be updated.

I read an article recently about cars that steal sales from other cars of the same brand. It mentioned that quite a few intended Mazda6 buyers ended up buying a Mazda3 instead. The cars are a lot closer in size than they appear- Mazda3 sedan has 96 cubic feet of passenger space while the Mazda6 only has 100 cubic feet (a difference of just 4-cubic feet). In comparison, the Honda Accord has 11 more cubic feet of passenger space than the Civic (103 vs. 92), so there is an easy discernible difference in size and space between the two. But not so with the Mazda pair.

Personally, I would LOVE to see the Mazda6 Wagon that is sold in most markets outside of the U.S. made available here! But considering how poorly the original Mazda6 Wagon (2004-2007) sold here, I won't hold my breath. Then again, now that many (most?) consumers are more fuel economy conscious, it would make a great alternative to an SUV/Crossover....

Anyway, congratulations once again! I love it! :D

11. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Had Mazda not redesigned the 3 cosmetically, I probably would have considered one for myself. But the new 3 is quite ugly IMO, the 6 is much better looking but it doesn't offer a hatchback. The fun to drive, still offering a 6 speed manual, and the fuel economy of the 2.0L is quite amazing, probably one of the better compacts out minus the road noise/polarizing looks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.